switch over to SW from FW and had a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowman17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm looking to switch over to SW from FW and had a few questions I couldn't find a clear answer for. One is has any one ever used Texas holy rock in a reef system? And in terms of filtration would hobs and canisters do the job? I see a lot of people with sumps and extravagant filtration systems im not going to have a budget for. Also what other equipment would i Need to add to what I already have from FW. Lastly is a RO system a must?

55gallon
2powerheads
2hob filters 1 canisters
Heater

Thanks in advance for any response.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also forgot to mention I plan on having a reef building it over time, new to salt water so taking it slow

HOB filters and canisters can be used, but they are difficult to maintain as they will need cleaned weekly. They also limit filtration methods in them. Sumps are preferred due to them increasing the water column along with assisting on hiding equipment. They aren't expensive and can even be as simple as an old tank or drinkable water safe container.
When it comes to water, don't use tap. It brings in all types of nasty levels that you can't even test for. Distilled water is the lowest one should go when it comes for a saltwater tank, especially if it is going to be a reef. You want as close to 0 total dissolved solids as possible so you can control what is going on in there without issues. I run my reef off of distilled water since getting married caused my kitchen to lose the ro/di I ran in there. The result is algae that I battle pretty constantly. It gets worse with tap.

OK RO system it is where did you get yours? And I understand about the sump but can a tank with coral thrive without one?

Ya look up sumpless tanks that's the route I'm gonna go with as I don't have the space for a sump or deal with the plumbing. I'm debating using my fluval 404 as it will require lots of maintenance with my schedule it'll be hard. Look into just getting a HOB skimmer reef octopus makes good ones but there are others just all preferences. Look in Craigslist just type up saltwater and see if you can find good deals locally.

Yea the filters I have are rated way over the 55g tank and I know live Rock and sand do a lot of the filtration. Besides the skimmer what else should I look into getting to run a good system?

As long as your power heads provide adequate flow then you won't need much else besides good weekly maintenance. When you get corals you'll need to buy lights capable of sustaining them. Which could easily be the most expensive part of the tank. Don't make the mistakes I did by buying features vs actual ability to keep corals. I wasted hundreds by not just going with the lights I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 3 power heads from my fw tank, do I need a special type? The 3 I have one stronger than the other two and are constant flow.

Where can I find a good light for a good price? This will probably be the last thing I get since I want to start slow and get things right before corals.

I guess it depends on what you call a good price?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

2-3 hundred

Google Tao tronics . you can now find them rather inexpensive , one of the best lights for keeping coral on a budget ,

I did check Tao tonics out they have good stuff but, I'm looking for something that can be fitted to the the tank instead of drilling into the ceiling and having them hang above the tank.

Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom