Switching freshwater to saltwater questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monsieur Kam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 75 gallon FOWLR setup so I have good knowledge about how to set up the tank. Currently the tank I want to switch is a 10 gallon cichlid tank.
I have an AquaClear Power Filter on it for 5-20 gallon aquariums. I was wondering if I could replace the filter media and use it for a saltwater tank. I was thinking about hanging it on the back of my wet/dry filter for the 75 gallon and letting saltwater flow through it for a while to get the saltwater ran through it, is that a good idea?
Also I am thinking about putting 10-15 pounds of live rock in there, would the live rock and the HOB filter be enough filtration along with 10 pounds of live sand? If not what do you suggest?
Also do you think I could use 10 gallons of water from the FOWLR tank so I don't have a new tank syndrome cycle? Would that pretty much bypass the new tank cycle if I left the HOB filter running in the wet/dry filter for a week or two. Do you think I would also need a small biological filter along with the HOB filter even though it already has a foam insert, carbon insert, and biomax insert?

Back
Top Bottom