Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2014, 03:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Switching from a FLUVAL 406 to PROFLEX SUMP Model 2

Hey Everyone,
I have had my tank up for about a month I cycled my tank with pure ammonia and live rock for about a month and a half before adding livestock. I have been using a fluval 406 running ceramic bio media, all four sponges and carbon. I came across a great deal and bought a Aqueon ProFlex Model 2 Sump. If your not familiar with this style it can be used as a wet/dry filter, refugium, or a Berlin system. My question is what way should I use it and how can I avoid another cycle? What media should I run in the sock, and put in the sump? I don't have a protein skimmer yet ill be purchasing one with in the next month. I have a 55 GAL currently with 10 LBS of live rock. Ill be adding 50 LBS of dry rook within a week. My tank is not drilled so I will be using a CPR Overflow box 600GPH. I haven't bought a return pump yet, any suggestion? Currently have two Clowns in my tank. Any and all help/ suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!

Aquatic-Airman

Old 10-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd personally go with a refugium. And to avoid another cycle, cure the rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSerik View Post
I'd personally go with a refugium. And to avoid another cycle, cure the rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You don't think switching filters will cause a cycle? Should I use all the media in my canister filter and put it in the sump to seed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

When you cycle a tank, you are building a bacteria base in the rock and sand in your tank. If you are following the 1 lbs per gallon of rock and sand, then changing out filter media doesn't matter at all because the bacteria are in the rock and sand...they are your main filtration in a SW tank.
In terms of switching to a sump, just some advice as I originally was scared of making my own sump when I first started and picked up one of those guys. It was a nice unit that was well built...but there is no room in it. You can save yourself a TON of money by just picking up some silicone, a cheap tank from your LFS, and any Lowes or Home Depot will cut you glass to scale. It took me about 20 minutes to put it together how I wanted it to be, and there are tons of ideas and guides on how to do this out there to help if you get confused. It was a much better idea to spend a total of 30 bucks to build a sump than over a hundred for one I wasn't happy with at all.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #5

thanks for all the info I added the sump a week ago and today removed the canister filter so I'm just running the sump and a protein skimmer which I'm having trouble breaking in. I ended up getting the proflex model 2 sump i didn't feel like going thru the aggravation of building it and so far i love it, i got it used off craigslist for $100. I removed the bio balls and thru them in the sump. Ill update in a month or so and let everyone know how it worked out.

Aquatic-Airman

Tags
chi, fluval, fluval 406, sump, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com