Switching from a FLUVAL 406 to PROFLEX SUMP Model 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy281

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,
I have had my tank up for about a month I cycled my tank with pure ammonia and live rock for about a month and a half before adding livestock. I have been using a fluval 406 running ceramic bio media, all four sponges and carbon. I came across a great deal and bought a Aqueon ProFlex Model 2 Sump. If your not familiar with this style it can be used as a wet/dry filter, refugium, or a Berlin system. My question is what way should I use it and how can I avoid another cycle? What media should I run in the sock, and put in the sump? I don't have a protein skimmer yet ill be purchasing one with in the next month. I have a 55 GAL currently with 10 LBS of live rock. Ill be adding 50 LBS of dry rook within a week. My tank is not drilled so I will be using a CPR Overflow box 600GPH. I haven't bought a return pump yet, any suggestion? Currently have two Clowns in my tank. Any and all help/ suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!

Aquatic-Airman

I'd personally go with a refugium. And to avoid another cycle, cure the rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd personally go with a refugium. And to avoid another cycle, cure the rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You don't think switching filters will cause a cycle? Should I use all the media in my canister filter and put it in the sump to seed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When you cycle a tank, you are building a bacteria base in the rock and sand in your tank. If you are following the 1 lbs per gallon of rock and sand, then changing out filter media doesn't matter at all because the bacteria are in the rock and sand...they are your main filtration in a SW tank.
In terms of switching to a sump, just some advice as I originally was scared of making my own sump when I first started and picked up one of those guys. It was a nice unit that was well built...but there is no room in it. You can save yourself a TON of money by just picking up some silicone, a cheap tank from your LFS, and any Lowes or Home Depot will cut you glass to scale. It took me about 20 minutes to put it together how I wanted it to be, and there are tons of ideas and guides on how to do this out there to help if you get confused. It was a much better idea to spend a total of 30 bucks to build a sump than over a hundred for one I wasn't happy with at all.

thanks for all the info I added the sump a week ago and today removed the canister filter so I'm just running the sump and a protein skimmer which I'm having trouble breaking in. I ended up getting the proflex model 2 sump i didn't feel like going thru the aggravation of building it and so far i love it, i got it used off craigslist for $100. I removed the bio balls and thru them in the sump. Ill update in a month or so and let everyone know how it worked out.

Aquatic-Airman

Back
Top Bottom