Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 621
Switching from freshwater to saltwater!

The title says it all! I want to switch from fresh water to saltwater in my 55 gallon tank! I talked to a guy at my local, privately owned, fish store today and he said a sump isn't necessary unless I'm planning on having a big stock! I do plan on getting a skimmer though! He did tell me to replace my filter pads, remove my bio balls and replace them with Purigen and remove my ceramic circles and replace them with something which I have forgotten the name of. If you haven't picked up on it yet I have a
Not one but two canister filters...a Marineland 360c and a Marineland 160c! I have an extra 40lb bag of live sand sitting in my room! Any tips on how to make this transfer?? I also plan on doing a fish less cycle! I will buy a API saltwater test kit and a salinity tester.
__________________

__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
conejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 136
I am also getting a tank together. I decided to go with a sump because it will help increase the amount of water in working with and leave more room for errors. If you plan on keeping corals then a sump is the way to go.

I will be following this feed because I would love to see the progress of someone else that's just starting up.
__________________

__________________
conejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
id really try to do a sump/refugium if your budget and physical size constraints allow. not only does it add volume for stabilization as Conejo mentioned, but it also offers an out-of-sight place for the majority of your equipment (heaters, probes, skimmer,etc). it also offers a place to house macroalgae, which feeds on excess nutrients in the system, further helping to keep nitrate levels from soaring high. if I can recommend anything to a newcomer to the saltie side... its this: spend good money on a quality skimmer. skimmers add a whole other level of stability to sw tanks when added. going cheap or trying to save money in this area will only directly reflect itself in the end.
__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by conejo View Post
I am also getting a tank together. I decided to go with a sump because it will help increase the amount of water in working with and leave more room for errors. If you plan on keeping corals then a sump is the way to go. I will be following this feed because I would love to see the progress of someone else that's just starting up.
awesome! Ill check out your thread for extra tips! Also if I post something and you have a tip regarding the topic that would be cool too!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
id really try to do a sump/refugium if your budget and physical size constraints allow. not only does it add volume for stabilization as Conejo mentioned, but it also offers an out-of-sight place for the majority of your equipment (heaters, probes, skimmer,etc). it also offers a place to house macroalgae, which feeds on excess nutrients in the system, further helping to keep nitrate levels from soaring high. if I can recommend anything to a newcomer to the saltie side... its this: spend good money on a quality skimmer. skimmers add a whole other level of stability to sw tanks when added. going cheap or trying to save money in this area will only directly reflect itself in the end.
ok! I'm going to run by my fish store today and get prices so I have a good estimate of how much it will all cost!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
conejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 136
As far as looking at buying a sump at a fish store, I would strongly encourage craigslist or even DIY sump. That will save you money in the long run. Plus you could ideally build what you want
__________________
conejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by conejo View Post
As far as looking at buying a sump at a fish store, I would strongly encourage craigslist or even DIY sump. That will save you money in the long run. Plus you could ideally build what you want
I will definitely check craigslist! Thank you!! Did you make your own??
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
id really try to do a sump/refugium if your budget and physical size constraints allow. not only does it add volume for stabilization as Conejo mentioned, but it also offers an out-of-sight place for the majority of your equipment (heaters, probes, skimmer,etc). it also offers a place to house macroalgae, which feeds on excess nutrients in the system, further helping to keep nitrate levels from soaring high. if I can recommend anything to a newcomer to the saltie side... its this: spend good money on a quality skimmer. skimmers add a whole other level of stability to sw tanks when added. going cheap or trying to save money in this area will only directly reflect itself in the end.
Also, which kind of Refugio's would you recommend? I have a 55 gallon tank.
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
cnaugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 54
Make your own sump. It's too easy and cost effective not to!
__________________
cnaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
conejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 136
What happened is I went to my lfs and he wanted 120 for a 20 gallon. I was looking around for a fish tank I could convert into a sump on CL and found a DIY sump 20 gallon for $30 so I just got that. Check out some YouTube videos for some easy ways to make one.
__________________
conejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson
Also, which kind of Refugio's would you recommend? I have a 55 gallon tank.
Buy a tank (id go 20g or so) then have a shop cut acrylic or glas baffles, then silicone them in. Theres videos on youtube and its dirt cheap
__________________

__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.