Switching from Oceanic to Kent Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am on my 5th 200 gallon bucket of Oceanic and I am now getting the low ph problem that allot of people have complained about. I bought my first 4 buckets from a lfs that was going out of business and all 4 were the same batch #. The newest bucket I got was a different batch and when mixed I get about 7.8

When I switch to Kent should I mix up a batch with say 75% oceanic and 25% kent do a water change then the next water change do 50/50 then do 25 % oceanic/75% kent. Then do 100% kent salt? Hope this makes sense. If not can someone advise me how to do it.

Don't mix the salts. Your better off using up the remaining Oceanic (buffering if necessary) and then starting clean with the Kent salt. When you are are ready to do a water change with the Kent, you need to change over very slowly if you have sessile or motile inverts. They will be quite sensitive to the change and too much too quickly can be deadly.

Change much less water out for the first month or so. On a 225 gal tank you probabley change between 25-40 gallons each time? For the next few weeks at least, only change ½ your normal amount. After a few water changes have passed at the lower amount, slowly increase the amount changed each time until your back up to normal. This allows your inverts the opportunity to adjust to the new chemistry slowly and are able to adapt. It's not just alk, Ca and pH but a miriad of differing elements between each salts makeup.

Cheers
Steve

You'll probably get 20 answers to 'the best salt' question.
I started with Instant Ocean, and moved to Oceanic. IO didn't dissolve well, and had low Ca and the alk was a little higher than I liked for the Ca levels.
Oceanic at least has the two in balance, if not a little on the low side for reef keepers.

malkore said:
You'll probably get 20 answers to 'the best salt' question.
Too true... Personally I don't think there is one "all perfect salt". Simpley what works best for a given situation depending on the hobbyest's need and maintenance practices.

Personally I use Kent salt and always will. The levels are in the upper range of NSW which makes it an aid with water chemistry, not a hinderance.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom