Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Switching media from fresh to salt water tank

I have some of my old media in my canister filter that was fresh water. But I am now starting salt water and wanted to use some media from the filter just to get the water clear and started. I will use this with my protein skimmer. Is this okay??

Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You will still need to cycle the tank. Fw and sw bacteria are different. I wouldn't worry about switching it.

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would just start with new media.. using the old media will not help with anything and the bacteria is different

Jeremy
jeremy upshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

and also be real careful with that canister and a saltwater tank, they are okay to use but a sump is a way better way to go.. with a canister you have to make sure you change your media bags once a week, also with a canister they are bad for holding nitrates in your tank so be real careful about that.

Jeremy
jeremy upshir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, chi, fresh, media, salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com