Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-06-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
switching tanks

I am in the process of replacing my current tank with a new system. Currently...40 gal reef tank, Emporer 400, SeaClone 100 etc. New tank...72 gal BF reef ready, aquaclear sump 150, new lights etc. i am putting it in the same location as my current tank so switching things over will be tricky. What is the best way to do this? I will use my exsiting water, LR and LS. I will add more LS and cured LR. With the new wet/dry sump and adding over 50 gals new water (including filling sump), do you think I will casue a Mini-cycle. Should I backpack on my Emperor 400 for a few weeks since it is established? How do I make the switch as easy as possible on me and my live stock? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Aqua Clear Pro Series Sumps? Thanks!

lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Best thing would be lots of bucket or bins for the water LR and sand. I have done basically the same thing moving a 90 gal reef tank to a new appartment a few miles. This will be a much easier.

Depending on the corals you have they will need as much space as possible. When moving my tank across the living room (second time- DOH!!), rubbermaid bins worked the best. It allowed a decent enough space for animals and such. One for loose corals, one for rock and one for sand. You can divide whatever fish between the rock and coral bin. Make sure you remove as much water as possible before removing the sandbed. If a DSB, I would only keep the first 2 inches or so. Do not keep the entire bed unless an SSB.

Add a low GPH PH or airstone to each bin (except the sand) to keep the water aerated. Ammonia should not be a concern if you only have a few fish.

Once they are removed and out of the way you can begin setting up the new tank. As well as the added volume of the sump, be sure you have an extra 10 or so gallons 'cause your gonna spill.

As far as a new cycle goes I don't think it will be much if anything. Mostly it will be a minor alage bloom. When I moved mine across town, it took about 10 hrs start to finish, no loses and only a mild cyano bloom.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Thanks Steve! That is the direction I was leaning...just not looking forward to it.
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com