Switching tanks, live stock, and lighting questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I'm deciding to upgrade my 10g to a 20g long. I originally wanted a 29g high, but I don't want to spend too much, not to mention my stand is custom built for a 20g long, dunno if it could hold the 29.

Not to mention, wouldn't the extra swimming room be better? Anyway, I just have a few questions...

My 10g tank currently has 1 firefish, 1 scooter blenny, and 1 falco hawk. They're all healthy and pretty darn fat. I'd like to rehome the firefish and falco hawk, and I was wondering, would these stock lists be feasible? Mind you, for the time being, it is a strict FOWLR setup.

1 Dwarf Lionfish (if I go this route, I'd rehome the scooter as well, and just keep him..?) Or is the tank too small? I see a 30g is recommended, but the 20g has a better footprint for swim space IMO.

1 Royal Gramma
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Yellow Watchmen Goby
1 Coral Beauty Angel

I'd really love that setup. Perhaps, again, rehome the blenny?

1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Spotted Jawfish
1 Coral Beauty Angel (just tell me now if this tank is too small! haha, I love this fish!)

Basically, I'm open to any combination of beautiful, colorful fish. The hawk was an impulse buy and he ate my yellow clown goby, so I'm not too fond of him. The blenny could always do "Better" in a copepod tank and the firefish just hides all day. He was a gift, so eh.

Anyway, onto my next round of questions.

I have the 20g long sitting in my garage. I have about 30lbs of live rock in my 10 (bought ten pounds extra today so it's real cramped) a 20g filter for carbon 'cause I use tapwater, I bought a 25 lb bag of red sea sand (says it's made for RO water, what would happen if I just used tap water...?), and a 10lb bag of sand. I have 13lbs of live sand in my ten gallon. Also a 50w heater and a 160GPH powerhead. The light is a 24" T8 standard strip. I really want to ditch it, but my other lights fried. My manager offered to sell me this light

http://www.petco.com/product/113078/Corali...at=OnSiteSearch

For 15 dollars. It has MAJOR salt creep and potentially a blown fan. Would it be okay to use for coral, such as candy canes, xenia, zoanthus, mushrooms, maybe a torch? Anyway.

How do I intially migrate everything to the tank? I'm planning on -more than likely- taking the fish with me to work tomorrow. I work for petco, so I can just throw em in a tank saying "for free." The only reason I have this question is because I am still somewhat new to saltwater, and have never attempted to move the entire rock work and sandbed...

Could I just take the 10g down, throw the rock in a bucket with the sand, fill the tank up, mix the salt, let it run for a while, than add my rock and sand? That's kind of the plan at this point.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom