Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Switching to a canister filter.....

So now that my fluval 305 is available I was thinking on adding it to my 55g SW tank. I am currently running an aquatech 30-60 from walmart. ( came with setup)

My questions would be: What media should I use? I don't want LR rubble in there do I? Also, if I don't move my media over from the aquatech will I experience I cycle? The media in there is the carbon/fiber/thing, I guess I could break it and put it in a basket maybe? Or is that just silly?

I am very good about my tank maintenance so I don't think I will have any nitrate issues.

Please help

thanks all.....

Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i had a 55G sw reef once and i had a fluval on it i filled it with lr rubble worked well

Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do I fill all three trays with LR? I need one tray for chemical ie: GFO until I can get a reactor.

How about the cycle part? Will changing cause a cycle again? Also, if I buy LR rubble from the lfs wont that cause a cycle?

thanks!!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can keep the nitrates down, but maintenance is going to be a pain. I used a magnum 350 canister with activated carbon and managed to keep my old tank pristine. The water was extremely clear with it, but I had to do 25% weekly changes to keep the nitrates down and I only feed every other day.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I already anticipate a filter breakdown every week and I do a 20% pwc each week as well.

So would carbon/GFO, biomax, biomax work ok ya think?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would imagine.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'm great when it comes to freshwater but not too sure on the salt. lol

And should I cut out the filter from the current one and put it in the new fluval? Or will my 80lbs of LR be enough to avoid a cycle?
I have the fluval all cleaned up and ready to go. i planned on going to the petco and getting the media in the morning.

Thanks!!

Tags
canister, canister filter, chi, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com