switching to reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kb322

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. First time posting here. I have a 55 gallon fish only salt water tank that has been running for about 3 years. I want to make it a reef tank. I have a local guy that can sell me LS & LR and I've already ordered 60 lbs of base rock from Hirocks. I'm figuring about 40 lbs of LR to go with this. Does that sound good?

My next question is lighting. The LFS recommended I go with a Coralife Aqualite that has 2-65W Actinic and 2-65W 10000K flourescent bulbs. Someone else told me that I may not be able to keep all corals with this light and suggested a MH. I've found one that has 2 -250watt 10K Metal Halide bulbs 2-96 watt actinic PC Compact Fluorescent bulbs, 2 - 4" fans. Is this sufficient for any type of coral? Is it too much for a 55?

I'm sure I'll have alot more questions but that's all for now.

If you want no restrictions as far as coral type/photosynthetic inverts, then MH is your best route. The one you described above would do quite well and is not too much light. Just be sure you have a good 8-12" from the water line to the bulb height.

If you decided on the PC's, you would still have a wide selection although clams and certain Acropora's should be avoided.

Cheers
Steve

Yep, lighting needs are going to be decided by what types of corals you're targeting. Are you thinking hard coral?

If not, check my profile for what 4x65 PCs are sustaining in my 75g. Even still, I want upgrade to 4x96 soon.

With the aqualight you can keep anything except yellow leathers,SPS corals and clams. The hamilton hood is nice and will allow you o keep anything you want. Heat may pose a problem though!

Back
Top Bottom