Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Switching to saltwater

Hello i am Switching my fw to a sw tank.Its a 29gal 30x12x18 i have a couple of questions and some hardware i need.It came with a plastic top is it ok to use that or do i need to get a glass top.If yes could you post some links.Question #2 is it ok to use the lamp fixture that came with it?I would like to grow soft coral and have a few fish.If so could you post some links or recommend some lights/fixtures.I will have a4" live sand bed and 45lbs of LR. And a AquaC Remora Hang-On skimmer and 2 maxi 1200 power heads.Ill be using the heater that came with it.Thanks in advance for any replys.Derrick

Old 09-09-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hi there and welcome. Read any good books lately? Get a copy of Robert Fenner's "Concientious (sp?) Marine Aquarist", It'll answer many of the questions you have and will have later. Still, I'm sure you'll get some good feedback from this site. But you're gonna have to know what you want to ultimately end up with in your tank. What kind of fish?

Most of all - - Welcome and best of luck to you! This is such a fun hobby.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have it on order just waiting to get it .And i want to grow soft coral like mushrooms and stuff like that.i want a couple of clown fish and shrimp,snails,Wrasses,Tang,thats all i want to start out with.Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know of no tangs that can fit in a 29gallon tank. Most wrasses I see are too big too, and a lot of them are apparently not reef safe.

The light that came with your tank isn't gonna be enough for corals.
Your skimmer choice is excellent though.

A pair of clown fish, and a small goby or gramma would be about all you'd wnat in a 29gallon reef tank.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok ill have to plan better on the fish.The main thing i like is the soft corals and inverts.ill will prob only get 2 clown fish and a cluan up crew to start .My plan down the road is to get a 180gal.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok been searching the web for light retrofit kits .My stock light fixture is 29" long and 4 1/4 wide and 2 3/4 tall. i found a kit thats 2-65wat 1 dual actinic and 1 dual daytime is this good enought for soft coral and inverts.the watts per gallon would be 4.48.I hear some people saying it need to bee 3-5watts.Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

before you buy the lights, I would pick up a copy of Aquarium corals by Eric Borneman. Reasearch what you want besides shrooms. The lighting that you are looking at would work for that. The idea is if you see something that you "have to have" you could make sure that you purchase equip that will work for what you want.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah i have The Conscientious Marine Aquarist coming just not here just trying to come up with a cost for everything and the light is my last thing to price.Thanks

Tags
chi, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com