Switching to SW in the future, planning now. Need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently running a 75g FW tank and i plan on converting it to a FOWLR tank when i move in a year or so. I am starting to figure out what i need so i can save up the money now.

What i have:
75g tank with stand (i doubt it is reef ready)
2 HOB biowheels
1 300w heater
1 200w heater
glass hood w/ x2 48inch T5 fixtures (2x28w) - a total of 4x28watt T5

What i was planning on getting:
RO/DI system (i was planning on getting one for my FW tank soon)
HOB protein skimmer
various water test kits
refractometer
2 ph (i have 2 that i have been using with my turtles, but i doubt they are any good)

I would say i am pretty experienced at FW so im looking forward to attempting SW. But i have a quick question... how necessary are sumps & refuges? i think my tank is tempered so i doubt i could drill for a sump. Would a HOB skimmer be sufficient with lr?

I would suggest that even being experienced at FW, you read, read, read... SW is not the same as keeping FW tanks.

Sumps and Refugiums are not required for SW tanks. There are many successful FO tanks out there with HOB filtration and Skimming.

An overflow system with a sump is recommended however, due to the amount of water you can add to the total volume and also conceal all of the unsightly filtration equipment such as skimmer, heater, etc... The overflow will also keep the water level in the tank consistant while making it easier to top off water in the tank.

I have been reading like crazy the past week or so, I'm starting to get the basics... and i still have a lot of time to keep reading before i switch

Yes, i read that word for word and whoever wrote it, kudos... it was very helpful

^ That's Micah's work- AKA Tecwzrd. A great read for sure.
As far as your tank goes, one thing I will recommend is to get a good protein skimmer the first time. You get what you pay for, and it is a very important piece of equipment. I would highly recommend an Aqua-C Remora or even better a Remora Pro HOB skimmer. They are one of, if not the, best HOB skimmers out there. Sumps are great, especially w/ refugiums, but you can do a successful tank w/ out one. I added a sump/fuge to my current system after it was up and running for about a year, using a CPR HOB overflow box and a 20 gal aquarium. Leave room, if you think that may be something you want to do in the future. HTH and good luck

ok, i wouldnt mind having a refuge/sump... are they possible without altering the glass? i dont want to buy a new tank and i dont think its reef ready, so is it possible without having a true overflow hole? i dont mind spending money on good equipment... i have been around FW fish enough to know that you buy the good stuff so you dont have to replace broken parts and dead fish

refuge/sump... are they possible without altering the glass?
Yes. I've been using a CPR HOB overflow for over 2 years w/ no problems at all. I've never had a failure (knock wood). The trick is to use an Maxi-jet power head instead of the aqua-lifter pump they recommend. Here is the overflow, they make a few different models/flow rates-

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CS100&Category_Code=

This site has a TON of info on sumps (general and DIY)-
http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

Here is a pic of my DIY sump. It's a very simple design, inlet/fuge/return chamber.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12266&cat=500&ppuser=2014

Back
Top Bottom