symbiotic relationship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scubagirl12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are some symbiotic relationships between fish and inverts? I love watching these and would love to have one form in my 10g tank (fishless so far)
Do you have to get them already paired or will two species know to pair up usually form a relationship automatically?

I agree, but there is not always a 100% guarantee that they will pair up and other times, it might take a while.

I love the relationship between the pistol shrimp and the shrimp goby. It is a wonder to observe.

Yes Pistol shrimp/ goby is cool. I have a fancy red pistol and a yellow watchman and they are together. The only downfall I have noticed is my emerald crabs and porclein crabs are gone... But my pistol is about 3 inches long.

Lance M. said:
The only downfall I have noticed is my emerald crabs and porclein crabs are gone... But my pistol is about 3 inches long.
I noticed a similar thing as my pistol shrimp got bigger. I've seen it take out more than one cleaner shrimp. New additions are the most vulnerable IME. Keep in mind Scubagirl12, if you choose this combo, some pistol shrimp get larger and/or more aggressive than others. And be sure all your rock work is secure.

Shrimp that are cleaner species are also interesting, but they are more likely to clean larger fish like Tangs, etc. IME. A cool addition nonetheless. Skunk cleaners have tons of personality. HTH

Back
Top Bottom