Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
Lets go red wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here comes another stanley!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
Thanx but no.....

well, so much for the friendship! LOL

Old 11-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxpilot View Post

Sorry,

Had to clear that up right away.
i dont really understand where that came from but hey, ill embrace it where ever i see it.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCkEyGmC View Post
i dont really understand where that came from but hey, ill embrace it where ever i see it.

ccCapt's avatar.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've noticed from other build threads here that a lot of people are using PVC to plumb their tanks and sumps. Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why more wouldn't use tygon tube and hose clamps? Just seems to me that it would be a lot more flexible in terms of modding, upgrading, or replacing broken stuff, no?

And on that note, I will have a refugium (about 30 gallons) that is store-bought and has the 3 chambers. I've ordered the NW200 in-sump skimmer. I know this sounds moronic, but I'd really feel a lot more comfy with a diagram of a refugium with an in-sump skimmer. 55 Gallon In Sump Refugium < that is what I've seen so far but the skimmer is outside of the sump.

Also, if my tank is pre-drilled for 2 overflows, how does the water get back to the tank (or does pre-drilled mean 2 holes per overflow?)? Should the tank have another hole that is an 'innie' or will I have to run hoses up to the tank for the return? It's supposed to be here Thursday, but I'm a little curious about plumbing so I can buy the bits and have them ready.

One other. Does anybody have a dedicated pump for a wall scrubbing vacuum?

Thanks a mil for the answers so far. I'm really impressed by the way folks here share information.

Dave
Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #26
Thanx but no.....

take a look thru here : Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums and http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php

Flex vs rigid is a personal choice. I used PVC. Glued and screwed makes me more comfortable. I think the headloss calc a bit different for flex also. Mine has been setup so long I can't remember.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got the first of the goodies today. Got a sump, 2 overflow kits for the tank, protein skimmer, light for the sump, 2 circulators (HK 4), splurged and got full test kit, and a bucket of salt.

I'll have to mod the sump. The skimmer doesn't fit in the end slot and the highest barrier levels are below the lowest setting on the skimmer level adjust. I'll have to shave 2 acrylic walls off and move them about 1 inch.

Tank, Coralife Aqualight Pro 48", stand, 1800 gph magdrive pump, aragonite are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Since I have to mod the sump, I'm holding off on live rock for the tank and sump.

Heater, refractometer should arrive this week.

90 lb. base rock ordered from Marco, but they shipped DHL, so who knows when it will arrive. I'll buy live rock from LFS.

Sump will have one big live rock, a bunch of reef rubble where the bio balls are now, and a bed of aragonite. I'd like to know what else I should be spiking it with. Isn't there a microbio somethingorother that I put in? Also, any reason I couldn't keep feeder hermit crabs in the sump, maybe starfish, maybe clams, maybe shrimp, starfish, and corals and such?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parts1web.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	16120  
Old 11-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

HELP!!

Looking at the attached, would the arrangement of the skimmer in the sump work as shown? I'd drill through the barriers and run a pvc pipe from the pump to the skimmer.

Didn't realize how big the skimmer was before I ordered it. If I use this arrangement, I have to drill and plumb the main pump outside of the sump. It's a mag drive 18 and the instructions say it can be internal or external. There's not enough room in the sump output chamber for both pumps and I don't want either of them in the refugium where they could suck up sand and stuff.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	parts1 001web.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	16150  
Old 11-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Trying to connect everything now. The overflow kit bulkhead fittings have flex hose taps on them and I'm trying to figure out how to rig the pump return to the tank. The sump came with ribbed hose that fits on the overflow drains, so I hose clamped them.

Still haven't figured out how to get from 3/4" PVC at the pump outlet to the style of connectors on the overflow. For now, I'll plumb the pump in PVC with a bypass (for excess flow) back to the sump inlet and stub the tank return off until I can sort out the last connections.

I'm keeping the skimmer in the refugium. I drilled a hole from the refugium to the sump inlet so the intake of the skimmer pump fits loosely into that section and will not draw from the refugium itslef. It's been frustrating today because I'm absolutely clueless about this equipment since I've never used it before. I'm afraid of getting to a point where I'm committed (like tank full of water) when I found out I screwed something up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	parts1 002web.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	16163  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where to go for copepods and macroalgae to seed the refugium?

Tags
build, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com