T5 as good as MH????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncox38

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am getting ready to start a 37 gallon reef tank and i am still in the researching and planning stage. I have been keeping a heavily planted freshwater tank for the last 5+ years so I am not new to the hobby, just new to saltwater. Anyways, I went to the LFS tonight just to browse and get some input and the kid told me that T5's were just as good as MH. Has anyone else out there heard this before? I would rather spend more money up front and buy the equipment that will allow for me to expand and try harder corals in the future rather than buy another fixture later on.

Thanks.

I would recommend MH then. I have them, and its nice to know that I can put any coral, clam, etc under them. Basically, if you can buy it at the LFS, you can put it in your tank if you have the MH system. A little expensive, but well worth it if youre going to get hardcore. Thats my $.02.

I would agree with that assessment. T5 does not have the light penetration for deeper tanks. MH will always be adequate for your needs.

I would also agree on the MH. It's just comforting to know I can add almost anything I want.

I have a friend who states that his heaters never come on because of the MH lighting. He has a chiller. He has stated that no matter how cold the room is the heaters will not likely be used. Now I looked at the prices of chillers and they are very expensive. If I get MH lights is it true that I will more than likely need a chiller?

No it is not always true that you`ll need a chiller. It first depends on how high you have the light unit and hopefully you dont have a glass cover over your tank as that will heat up the tank. and then in most cases a simple clip on fan will keep temps down. As far as the OP original question I agree that you`ll want MH`s as their intensity is much brighter and will give you room to expand.

Most articles I've read suggest keeping a glass top on the tank to keep fish from jumping out and to keep the water off of the lights. What about a canopy? If the lights are in the canopy will they be high enough off of the water? Tank is AGA with AGA canopy.

Glass tops are not a good idea IMO. They cause the water to heat up and they also cause low PH doe to poor gas exchange at the surface. Eggcrate is a better choice. Nothing wrong with a canopy but I have a completely open tank.

Back
Top Bottom