T5ho for 46 gallon bow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moneymike1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just starting to build a new 46 gallon tank that I way to house only a nem and clowns. Currently looking at a aquatic life t5ho dual bulb 79 watts. Can this be used as proper lighting or do I need more bulbs? I know nothing about t5 specs as I run two AI Vegas on my 75 gallon reef currently. Just don't want to have to pay a small fortune again for a second tank.

You're going to need a much stronger light than that one. If you had your heart set on t5ho then you will probably need 2 of those fixtures over your tank. I have 1 over my 55g fresh tank and it can't support anything more than medium light plants.

It might be a good idea to look at these LEDs

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light White US | eBay

They are both highly recommended and affordable.

I had one LEDs listed above over a 46 bow, no problems more higher light corals in the middle lower light to the sides. You will love it.

Sweet ill have to look into it. Someone else told me to just get another one of the t5 fixtures that I have now but that wouldn't work would it?

Possibly... but you are looking at spending a nearly identical amount of money on the aquatic life fixture.

Would it be possible to run two of these fixtures with ati bulbs? So in all it would be 4x39 watt ati bulbs. I would do the led but the cross beam in the middle of the bow might hold me up.

Well I'm getting the fixture from a buddy and I'm getting it for 40 bucks. So I'm not paying full retail. I only bought the one because he thought he had someone else buying the other but it fell through. He has given up on reefing because he thinks its to much work.

So in all I would be paying 80 plus bulbs. Could I run two leds that you mentioned if possible? Would that be to much light?

I just don't want to burn them up if I were to put two in...I had that problem with my AI system.

They are dimmable so too much light shouldn't be an issue. Two LEDs might be a good idea to give you sps capabilities over the entire tank. That being said, I don't get mine until thursday and I'm just going from what I've heard a lot of other people say.

This is off topic but I do have a question for you guys. Do you know any place to get a good healthy anemone for the future online? All the nems at my lfs don't look very great. They are either floating around the tank or have a mouth that is loose, and semi bleached. I will need a big one when my tank matures because I have a full grown maroon clown pair and the female is approx 5 inches....

Yikes! that's going to be expensive. What type? Rose bubble tip? You are going to pay upwards of $150 dollars or more for a large one, and buying a small one and growing it out in a tank with 2 large maroons is a tall order. I had a single maroon in a tank and it killed 3 anemones. The 4th one seemed to take the beating ok and lived. That was a green bubble tip. The others were rose. Perhaps the green might work better. Another option may be a carpet. They seem more resilient to shipping stress than the bubble tips.

Where are you located? There is a store in Frazer Pa that has a few XL RBTA's they are dying to get rid of. They are nice too. Probably 10"-12" across. I think I heard $60.00.

I live in northern Kentucky. I was thinking a carpet as well but was worried because I have heard they are difficult to keep. I'm only looking to have just a nem in the tank. I have a small Haitian anemone in my 75 gallon and the clowns bout killed it hosting it. They were all over the thing like crazy! It never got a break from them and started to decline which made me have to put them in another tank. I really don't want to get rid of the clowns because it took me forever to make them a pair especially to find two gold stripe maroon where I live....?

And I have heard that they like to naturally host bubble tips, carpets and long tentacle? Is this correct? I was surprised when they hosted my Haitian but I guess they took to what they had present.

I don't know. Someone gave me a carpet that was half shredded from a power head a while back. It disappeared into a rock and I didn't see it for months. I assumed it dead. It finally appeared and has been thriving ever since. It's about a foot across right now. I don't think they are as hard as you've heard.

And mr x you have any tips for what t5ho bulbs you would use for the tank if I go that route?

Thanks everyone for all the help! I have been blown away with this forum and how much help I receive from you guys. It just sucks not having a lfs to trust and learn from however you guys def make up for it. Have a great day and happy reefing!

My 46 has a support with the light hung 10" above you won't see a shadow. No replacing bulbs I had 4 t5 fixtures wish I would of found this forum before I bought them that would of saved me cash. LEDs are top notch and inexpensive in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom