Taking the plunge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the advice, but I dont think I need to get a power head. My tank is small, and the central aeration is suppose to give optimum flow,which it seems to as when it was cloudy at one point you can really see the flow pattern.

Blag It said:
Thanks for the advice, but I dont think I need to get a power head. My tank is small, and the central aeration is suppose to give optimum flow,which it seems to as when it was cloudy at one point you can really see the flow pattern.

No probs, if u do find some dead spots you might want to think about getting one.

Not posted in a while, simply because I'm still cycling my tank.
Carried out a water change today to lower the nitrate level.
Ammonia is at 1ppm, hopefully on the decline but can't be sure.
Salinity is roughly 1.026, and temp is at 26c (79f).
Will post again once cycled or if anything changes.

i took the plunge kept marines for a few yrs now but never have I done a tank like I did for my daughter.started two wks ago with 750 ltr tank added water ready done from shop let run for 1 wk. Then back to lincs aquatics to pick up live rock and a couple of fish da da.tank readings are spot on mushrooms all open star polyp and feather dusters all doing well guess the volume of water helps you could'nt do this on a small tank .hope yours goes has well as this did

Don't do any water changes even if ur nitrates are off the chart. Let it sit and it will go faster. How big is the tank? I never did the nano but I can imagine keeping the saliniry on check is tough. My tank evaporates about 3/4 gallon a day and the sp will jump from 1.025 - 1.026 in no time

I agree, no more water changes. lol That is only gonna lengthen the cycle time. I would also get in the habit of keeping your salinity a bit higher, I know it's tough in a small tank but you need to keep it at a steady 1.025 or thereabouts. I keep all my tanks at natural seawater level, 1.0255 or 1.026.

So, weeks later, and the water has cycled!
No ammonia, no nitrate, just a lot of nitrite, which I have decreased through water changes.
Hoping to add my first cleanup crew later today.
Will post updates on how it's going every few weeks.

U don't want to do water changes during a cycle. If u still have nitrites wait till they are all gone and only change for nitrates

Yeh I meant that the other way around lol had a load of nitrate, no ammonia or nitrite. It's all good.
Got a fire shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, and a hermit crab now, and they're doing well :)

Been a while, I know! Still only have my cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, and hermit crab. Everything was and is fine, all levels and temp and such.
However, today I have noticed my cleaner shrimp shaking sharply sometimes, and literally being sick. I have no idea what could be wrong, I haven't changed their three types of food I feed them, or anything else for that matter. The other two seem fine, just my cleaner.
Anyone have any clues why he is being sick?? :(

Back
Top Bottom