Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Taking the plunge!

I currently have a 30l biorb which I want to convert to marine.
I enjoy tropical, but wish to get a bigger tank.
I've been reading for days about advise on marine conversions, especially for biorbs.
I understand what needs to be done, why it needs to be done, and how many fish/creatures I can comfortably house in my little aquarium.
I realise it's not going to be the best set-up for marine, and I can't contain live coral, but I still wish to pursue it as a starting point.
I will keep this thread updated with pictures as to what I'm doing when I'm doing it.
If anyone could kindly offer advise along the way, or at specific stages, that would be great!
Hoping to convert this weekend, and have the fish-less cycle going for a few weeks if not a month before adding any creatures, no mistakes this time!
Wish me luck

Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Set up the tank yesterday after thoroughly rinsing everything!
Filled the water to the fill line on the guide provided in the biorb marine conversion kit. Although I have read that the biorb marine kit is a waste of money, the only thing I haven't used from it are the 4 pieces of replica live rock. I haven't used these because I want to get real live rock next week.
I have mixed the two bags of salt in the water until dissolved, used both the stress coat and stress zyme samples, and put the heater and thermometer in.
I have waited for.. Roughly 16 hours for the temperature to settle to 24 degrees c (75 degrees f), but it is currently on 24.5 (76) and doesn't seem to be budging.
Tested the salinity anyway, which is currently at 1.022 which is the minimum.
I have placed the plant decos and some pebbles in, but I will be checking the temp and the salinity constantly until the temp is 24 (75). If the salinity is still the same at the optimum temp, then I will need to add a little more salt to increase it to 1.024.
The water level has increased since adding the decos, but I'm not going to take any out until all the decos (the live rock etc) have been put in, so I can do the overall level then.
Now begins the waiting game!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	74738  

Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Day 3
Having issues with stabilising the water temp. It started off a bit warm from tap, so I let it drop to 22c (72f). I then turned the heater on to 24c (75f) and left it. After a few hours it went up to 25c (77f), I didn't know why so I thought it best to leave it to stabilise over night. Having come back to it in the morning, it is at 25.5c (78f). I've just turned my heater off, going to let it drop to 24c and then turn it on (as its set to 24c) and see if it stays stable. Haven't got high hopes though..
Room temp is currently 24c, so don't see that being an issue, but have turned all heaters off in the room to let it drop as it may be causing the overheating..?
Also got a very thin layer of speckled salt on the bottom of the tank. Have read this should eventually dissolve if the water has flow, so hoping for the best with that one too..
Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi! Looking great so far
Does your heater have a thermostat? If yes, I'd leave it on, just turn it down a notch. The temp should stabilise eventually, and even though it's not just yet I don't think it's an issue without any fishes in the tank.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's great thanks I'm letting it drop, then will put the heater back on and leave it for a few days this time to stabilise. It has a thermostat, so leaving it on 24c. Playing the waiting game!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Day 4
Took a few cups of water out yesterday so that the level was correct. This was just precautionary, as I had read that a high water level can lead to heat exchange from the light to the water causing overheating.
This morning, whether or not it's due to the water line, it seems to have settled on 24c!
Good times. Now I just have to wait to see if it stays at 24c. If not, I suspect my heater may be at fault, as I have heard of biorb heaters overheating the water when they go wrong!
Will be checking the salinity later on today if it's still at 24c.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update. Salinity has annoyingly decreased to 1.020. How?.. I have no idea. I have removed water, dissolved more salt in the removed water, and put it back into the tank. I have done this twice. The salinity remains the same..
Will be buying a refractometer tomorrow to get a more accurate reading than the hydrometer..
Water temp seems stable at just over 24c.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #8

Why don't u just let everything sit and let the heater do its thing. If I set mine to 76 the tank is at 78 there isn't any reason to pull out the water either. Nothing is in it so just put more salt into the tank. It will stabalize. Just wait. And as far as water level at a certain level I'm not familiar with a bio orb but I bet the level is only like an inch difference from where u took the few cups out. Just let it evaperate and if u want ur salinity at a certain level let water evaporate till it hits that number than add water at that same salinity to fill it up to the line where it should be
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi I'd like to congrats on taking the plunge, but I think you should of started the cycle with live rock in it. When you do add live rock to a new salt water tank you can get some die off on the rock which can put you through a mini cycle. When you buy your rock make sure it's fully cured.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy35
Hi I'd like to congrats on taking the plunge, but I think you should of started the cycle with live rock in it. When you do add live rock to a new salt water tank you can get some die off on the rock which can prolong the cycle. So it's best to add it asap. When you buy your rock make sure it's fully cured.
Congratulations again.

Tags
beginner, conversion, starting marine, starting saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com