Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
Where was your ammonia before you dosed it tonight? How long has it been since Dosing ammonia last? Throw a good size pinch of FINELY ground flake food in the tank. It works.
It was at zero again, I hadn't dosed it for 2 days. I have put in a a pinch or two of flake food ground up.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Test your Nitrate today. The
Niteout II may have caused you to skip the second part of the equation. I would test ammonia today again also. You don't want the ammonia level to get to 0 during this process. Dose it to 4 if it is 1 or less. Then check everything 24hrs later. Where is your PH and temp?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a petco near you they sell a thing called bio spira. Worked wonders for me but I had an ammonia source and didn't have to dose it
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ammonia .5ppm
Nitrite between .5 and .25ppm
Nitrate 80ppm +
pH between 8.2 and 8.4

So first time all of the ammonia hasn't been gone the next day, weird.
Nitrite finally on the move, .
Nitrate way up.
ph basically right were I was trying to get it.

The ammonia level freaks me out a little as the tank was converting huge amounts every day. I guess I'll add a little more back up to 2ppm to keep things moving. VERY happy to see some movement on the nitrites.

Edit: I bet the ammonia change is due to the ground up flake food still decaying. That makes sense.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like is doing better now
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome, just keep Dosing the ammonia back up when it reaches 1. Not much longer and you'll be ready for fish. Happy dance!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
Awesome, just keep Dosing the ammonia back up when it reaches 1. Not much longer and you'll be ready for fish. Happy dance!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

Guess what, I just tested my params (about 6 hours earlier than normal, out of boredom) and...

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates tons

Going to put in a little more ammonia today to keep things going. But I think I may be cycled!

Now if this holds up I guess my next step is to do a huge WC, get the temp, pH and salinity back to the right spots and then I can start getting some critters.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zparticle View Post
Guess what, I just tested my params (about 6 hours earlier than normal, out of boredom) and...

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates tons

Going to put in a little more ammonia today to keep things going. But I think I may be cycled!

Now if this holds up I guess my next step is to do a huge WC, get the temp, pH and salinity back to the right spots and then I can start getting some critters.

You are cycled! Happy happy joy joy! Do the huge water change the day before you pick up fish. Keep it dosed to 1 on ammonia till then. You are right on the money with everything else you have to do.
Congratulations! Post some pics when you can.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just went and picked up 32 gallons of RO water for the WC. Have to let it sit at least a day to get the temp up. I'll probably try to get some critters this weekend, unless I see something funny with the tests. Need to go get some more salt.

Should I do a complete water change or just like 80-90%. I have a fear of stirring up all of the sand again. Pics will definitely be forth coming.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com