Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't be discouraged! What I have found is that everyone has an opinion as everyone does things differently. There seems to be no set rule when it comes to SW, that's why this forum is so good - you can hear people's opinions based on experience. As for filters, you don't NEED either. I run a 55g with no filter, just plenty of live rock, 2x power heads and a good quality large skimmer. I don't have a full blown reef but do keep some corals. I have a pufferfish, eats corals if you go down this road you just have to keep up with the weekly water changes, which you have to do anyway...

Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Don't be discouraged! What I have found is that everyone has an opinion as everyone does things differently. There seems to be no set rule when it comes to SW, that's why this forum is so good - you can hear people's opinions based on experience. As for filters, you don't NEED either. I run a 55g with no filter, just plenty of live rock, 2x power heads and a good quality large skimmer. I don't have a full blown reef but do keep some corals. I have a pufferfish, eats corals if you go down this road you just have to keep up with the weekly water changes, which you have to do anyway...
Thanks a bunch. I was just in a very not happy place because of these people. I found another place near by that is SW only. After talking with the guy up there and asking tons of questions. I felt he answered them honestly and straight forwardly. Nice guy never left me or looked annoyed even though there were many customers. I calmed down a lot.

So, I ended up installing my power head, a number of small pieces of dry rock and a few large pieces of incompletely cured live rock (after cleaning it up a bit). I've decided to look around for refugiums (probably one that I can hang on the back) while the tank is cycling. Right now I'm fighting trying to get the salinity at just the right place. It wasn't far off so I didn't feel I was risking anything putting the rock in now.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

So the cycling process I'm going to be using is basically the same fishless cycling I did with the FW stuff. Using ammonia doing the testing for the nitrites and trates. Any objections? I'm going to go read some more on SW cycling, but figured it was worth asking here as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay the tank has cleared up quite a bit since I put the LR in. I picked up some more today and put it in. Added ammonia last night but added too much so had to do some serious WCing. Salinity is right on target and so is the temp.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it's a start, long road to go. I have a lot of work to do on the rock placement.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ammonia is still at around 4 ppm which isn't surprising given that I completely over did it on the dosing.

Nitrites are off the chart. (Good I didn't kill everything with the ammonia)

Nitrates are at roughly 10 ppm.

This cycle might go faster that I expected.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quick video.

Saltwater 29g Step 1 - YouTube
Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 29 as well. Here is the link to my thread. Here is the plan.

29 gallon, natural filtration(40lbs of sand idk how many lbs of rock. Will be adding some more rock though when I move), voyager 3 powerhead from sicce, and a fluval heater. My parameters are always perfect. Plus it is fun to show people a tank with no filter hanging on it. I have 7 fuzzy mushrooms(they keep dividing started with 4), some zoas(not sure of the exact colorings name), orange ricordea, montypora capricornus(growing pretty quickly), alveopora, pulsing xenia(finally starting to grow), blastomussa wellsi(just grew 3rd head). All are happy I am asssuming, since they are growing. I do only have a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp in there as well as a mexican turbo, nassarius snail, some hermits and a TON of stomatella snails(gonna start giving them away). Oh and a sea urchin. Do not get frustrated just do what you want to do.

Make sure that rock is resting on the bottom and not on the sand. If you get something like a pistol shrimp or another digger it will pull all the sand out from under the rocks.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa_nick View Post
I have a 29 as well. Here is the link to my thread. Here is the plan.

29 gallon, natural filtration(40lbs of sand idk how many lbs of rock. Will be adding some more rock though when I move), voyager 3 powerhead from sicce, and a fluval heater. My parameters are always perfect. Plus it is fun to show people a tank with no filter hanging on it. I have 7 fuzzy mushrooms(they keep dividing started with 4), some zoas(not sure of the exact colorings name), orange ricordea, montypora capricornus(growing pretty quickly), alveopora, pulsing xenia(finally starting to grow), blastomussa wellsi(just grew 3rd head). All are happy I am asssuming, since they are growing. I do only have a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp in there as well as a mexican turbo, nassarius snail, some hermits and a TON of stomatella snails(gonna start giving them away). Oh and a sea urchin. Do not get frustrated just do what you want to do.

Make sure that rock is resting on the bottom and not on the sand. If you get something like a pistol shrimp or another digger it will pull all the sand out from under the rocks.
Just got done reading through your thread. Lots of interesting stuff in your tank. Good tip on the diggers, thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ammonia .5 ppm
Nitrites 2-5ppm ish
Nitrates 10ppm ish

Added some more LR and re-dosing the ammonia.

Clear Water Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com