Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I know, I was just all wound up to get the aquascaping finished and now I can't see a **** thing.

Tonight I went up to a petco and looked around. They had HOB refugium with protein skimmer (AquaFuge2 PS) was expensive but thought I'd give it a try. Brought it home got it hooked up, worked like a champ Actually a pretty slick unit. However I was looking for the skimmer because I was just wanting to put some filter material in the thing to clean up the water for now. Then I got to looking in the box and ... no skimmer.

Looked a little closer and the big label taped on the top of the box was not what was written on the side of the box. The top said AquaFuge2 PS the side said AquaFuge2! Looked online to make sure I wasn't stoned, sure enough wrong thing. Had to take the **** thing apart and take it back to the store. Actually happy as PetCo is charging $300 for this thing and you can get the same thing online for $160. Refund in hand I came home and vowed not to touch the tank again today.

"Step away from the aquarium!" It has been a rough few weeks and the only thing I wanted to do was work on the aquascape. Oh well, there is plenty of time.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Go no filtration its pretty awesome. I also have learned that suction cups do not like water very much. Get a PH with a magnetic base and take it off your mind of that ever happening. Somehow my heater suction cups work ok but my glass thermometer likes to float around the tank.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read the thread tonight. Sorry for the troubles. Don't get discouraged though as one day soon you will have a beautiful SW tank to enjoy and be proud of. As many mentioned take the advice of some of your LFS employees with a grain of salt. There are some really knowledgable people out there but I find all too often I run into know it all kids that really don't know it all lol. Best thing is to ask members here and use google, or get some good books. Also as mentioned nothing in this hobby happens fast that is good so patience and research are key. Research what livestock you want and then decide what's best for your tank to maintain it. IMHO a skimmer and an RODI unit are mandatory and two places not to skimp. Any other filters you may want or need its best to ask members here. Canisters are not commonly used on reefs anymore but some do, they just need to maintained very well. As the LFS that told you that you have to have a refugium is not correct, having one does help reduce nitrates, phosphates, and can provide a constant supply of beneficial pods. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the Aquafuge 2 PS of the large size. I got it on eBay for only $120. I found it under a search for protien skimmer I think. I'll see if I can bring up my link.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

You've had some bad luck, but that only means you're due for some good luck!!
I've tried marineland PHs that have the suction cups-hated that they kept falling off. I now have several Aqueon PHs, they have a little lever that enacts the suction, and I've not had any of those fall off, ever. They sell them at Petco.
Hope things start getting easier for you!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found the item on eBay but boy oh boy has shipping gone up in the states. It's the same as what I had to pay to Canada. Same price as the other you got at $175.

http://bit.ly/Vo6pGb
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa_nick View Post
Go no filtration its pretty awesome. I also have learned that suction cups do not like water very much.
Thinking about trying to find some strong magnets to stick to the PH I already have. Don't want this mess to happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
Read the thread tonight. Sorry for the troubles. Don't get discouraged though as one day soon you will have a beautiful SW tank to enjoy and be proud of.
Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I have the Aquafuge 2 PS of the large size. I got it on eBay for only $120.
They are slick units, very nicely built based on the one I had to return. Taking a step back for now. I don't need it yet so time to slow down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
You've had some bad luck, but that only means you're due for some good luck!! ... Hope things start getting easier for you!
Thank you and I hope you are right about the good luck.

Okay, well a new day has started. Last night I was able to get the filter working again so the water is nice and clear again. The PH blowing the sand all over made some interesting piles of sand, actually looks pretty cool. Starting the day off by doing some major WCs and cleaning on two of my FW tanks. Going to try to finish up mounting the LR in the SW tank today.

I can't figure out if I like the background I have on this tank or not. Thinking I may take it off and paint the back black.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post

Yeah its fine to mix your water in the tank, just make sure the powerheads dissolve it well. Also, look into refractometers... Got mine for 30 bucks on ebay and it hasent failed me yet.
I just ordered a refractometer on Ebay for 23$ shipping and all
Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok tanks are cleaned. The Ph is the new tank is only at 8 should I start bringing it up now or wait? I was just going to use a little baking soda.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

8 isn't really a bad ph. It is more important to maintain a ph then to fluctuate. Yes a little higher would be ideal but for you cycling a new tank it's going to fluctuate some.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com