Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aqua-scaping done:

Saltwater 29g Step 2 - YouTube

Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it looks great!!! You did a great job making caves a no cruces for the fish to hide! Don't worry about the 2 different colors of epoxy; in 6 months it'll all look the same. Great start! Keep us posted in your progress.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
I think it looks great!!! You did a great job making caves a no cruces for the fish to hide! Don't worry about the 2 different colors of epoxy; in 6 months it'll all look the same. Great start! Keep us posted in your progress.
Thanks I think I'm going to have to get a 2nd light, but that is okay. I'm not sure in a tank this small that the height of the corals will make much difference. Any thoughts on that?

Here are my thoughts on possible stocking options, so far. I'm still very unsure about the corals (no experience) which is why there are only a few in the list.

Saltwater Aquarium Shrimps for Marine Reef Aquariums: Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Max. Size: 2"
Color Form: Red, White
Diet: Carnivore
Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Indonesia, Sri Lanka
Family: Hippolytidae
Like other invertebrates, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is intolerant of copper-based medications, high nitrate levels, and fluctuating water parameters. It also requires the drip-acclimation process when first introduced to your system. Also, proper iodine supplementation is necessary to promote molting and growth. To supplement their diet, feed Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp freeze dried, frozen, and flake foods.

Kelp on Rock, Grape
Kelp on Rock, Grape (Botryocladia sp.)
Care Level: Moderate
Lighting: Moderate to High
Waterflow: Medium
Color Form: Red
Supplements: Calcium, Trace Elements, Iron
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Grateloupiaceae
The proper environment for Grape Kelp is an aquarium with plenty of live rock, and has moderate to high illumination. Protection must be provided for this species against predation from herbivorous fish, as this is one of their favorite meals.

Mermaid's Fan Plant
Mermaid's Fan Plant (Udotea sp.)
Care Level: Moderate
Lighting: Moderate
Waterflow: Medium
Placement: Bottom
Color Form: Green
Supplements: Calcium, Trace Elements, Iron
Origin: Caribbean
Family: Halimedaceae
The Mermaid's Fan plant, a green calcareous algae found throughout the Caribbean, is used as a decorative plant in the marine aquarium. These plants have short stems that grow out of the substrate or live rock. These plants form a fan like leaf that is oval to round in shape. They are calcareous algae that deposit limestone (calcium carbonate) in their tissues. The Mermaid's Fan plant is generally hardy in the right conditions, and few fish will feed on them. In addition to light, they require sufficient calcium to grow. They are not as tolerant of high nitrate or phosphate levels compared to some other algae. They also do not tolerate extensive pruning.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Red Striped Goby
Red Striped Goby (Trimma cana)
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 1"
Color Form: Red, White
Origin: Cebu
Family: Gobiidae
It should be kept in a 10-gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock for hiding and as a supplemental food source. Small groups, or pairs, tend to do better in an aquarium, but need to be introduced to the tank simultaneously. Do not house these gobies with larger, aggressive fish or invertebrates. The diet should consist of a variety of fresh or frozen seafood, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp. It needs to be fed twice per day

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Stripe Clingfish
Yellow Stripe Clingfish (Diademichthys lineatus)
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Care Level: Difficult
Max. Size: 2"
Color Form: Red, Tan, Yellow
Origin: Solomon Islands
Family: Gobiesocidae
A 10 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock and corals provide a suitable environment for the Yellow Stripe Clingfish. These fish also will live in close association with a long spine urchin or branching corals. The fish uses this association for both protection and for food. The Yellow Stripe Clingfish also preys upon parasitic bivalves that attack various species of corals. As a carnivore, the Yellow Stripe Clingfish will thrive on a diet of meaty foods such as finely chopped fresh or frozen marine fish, squid, mysis shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and frozen carnivore preparations.

Buy Percula Clownfish Online | Vivid Aquariums
Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)
Maximum Length: 3.1 in.
Family: Pomacentridae
Reef Compatibility: Excellent
Minimum Aquarium Size: 30 gal.
Range: Western Pacific
Diet: Omnivore
Water Conditions: 74-80� F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
As with most clownfish the Percula Clownfish is best kept singly unless a pair is introduced together. It may attack other clownfishes and nip at passive tank-mates who wonder near its host anemone or territory. Generally, it is a great fish for the reef aquarium and spends much of its time nestled peacefully in its anemone. The Percula Clownfish does not require a host anemone for survival; however it is a real treat for any hobbyist to observe the symbiotic relationship between the clownfish and its host anemone.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred
Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Max. Size: 3½"
Color Form: Black, Orange, White
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Tank Bred - Africa, Tank Bred - Asia, Tank Bred - England, Tank Bred - USA
Family: Pomacentridae
The Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish has other unique advantages over wild-caught species. For one, the Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish is very hardy and more accustomed to conditions found in home aquariums. Therefore, it makes a great choice for novices and seasoned aquarists alike. The Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish can also be kept with a variety of other tank-bred clownfish, if introduced into the aquarium at the same time.

Spotted Cardinalfish
Spotted Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Max. Size: 3½"
Color Form: Green, White
Origin: Coral Sea, Fiji, Indo-Pacific
Family: Apogonidae
For the best care, the Spotted Cardinalfish should be kept in small schools in suitably sized aquariums of at least 30 gallons. Because the Spotted Cardinalfish is a slow and methodical swimmer, it should be housed with peaceful tankmates and offered a plethora of hiding places amongst rockwork or plants. Most Spotted Cardinalfish will tend to hide in sea grass or other plants. Some may also camouflage themselves against long spined sea urchins.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

My suggestion would be to stick with easy care fish to start. The clingfish says difficult care level. I'm no clown expert, but I'm not sure if you can mix a percula and an oscellaris. Hopefully someone with more expertise in the matter will chime in. Oscellaris are usually better tempered from what I've read.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
My suggestion would be to stick with easy care fish to start. The clingfish says difficult care level. I'm no clown expert, but I'm not sure if you can mix a percula and an oscellaris. Hopefully someone with more expertise in the matter will chime in. Oscellaris are usually better tempered from what I've read.
Oops, didn't see that Clingfish was difficult, off the list. I think I saw a little critter in the sand of the tank tonight. Was REALLY tiny. If it wasn't so small I would have thought it was a fish. The tank is converting ammonia quite fast however it doesn't seem to be converting nitrites to nitrates very much. Guess the BB are still growing.

I can't get a good read on the Ph, the colors on the API test sheet don't seem to match the colors I see in the test tube. The tube color is a dark-ish brown.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought and read Saltwater tanks for dummies, there are several ways to do a saltwater tank. There are beautiful soft coral tanks on YouTube with canister filter only.

SRC <><
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish View Post
I bought and read Saltwater tanks for dummies, there are several ways to do a saltwater tank. There are beautiful soft coral tanks on YouTube with canister filter only.

SRC <><
Saltwater tanks for dummies - I need to get that.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

How cool is this guy?Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blotched Anthias, Holanthias borbonius
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi! I enjoyed watching you put your tank together, though, not the frustration that can come with mixed info. I have a question or two. I am a newbie. I have a 55g DT FOWLR and have now converted my 14g nano biocube into a mini reef. I have the prettiest pink xenia, and emerald crab and two snails, a little live rock, white substrate and some pretty, leafy Chaeto. What other kind of soft corals would live in there that aren't really expensive? Since I am new and have little experience, I want something easy that I won't kill. Ideas? I am open to them. Thanks, Lauri
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri Bliss View Post
Hi! I enjoyed watching you put your tank together, though, not the frustration that can come with mixed info. I have a question or two. I am a newbie. I have a 55g DT FOWLR and have now converted my 14g nano biocube into a mini reef. I have the prettiest pink xenia, and emerald crab and two snails, a little live rock, white substrate and some pretty, leafy Chaeto. What other kind of soft corals would live in there that aren't really expensive? Since I am new and have little experience, I want something easy that I won't kill. Ideas? I am open to them. Thanks, Lauri
Hi Lauri, unfortunately I don't know anything at this point, lol. Maybe some of the other folks in this thread will chime in. It will help me as well. I've been researching stocking possibilities at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums . You might check out

beginner corals

soft corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com