Taking the plunge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Up to 4 would be perfect. You may be overwhelming your nitrifing bacteria.

That's what I'm thinking 16 just doesn't sound like it will be doing any good. 4 would be good too. Mine never got over 2. I would suggest getting ammonia down to 4 and adding a bottle of bio spira
:)

How long you running the lights? did you use tap water?

No on the tap water, using RODI water. I've been having the lights on for 6-8 hours while I'm home after work (just so I can enjoy looking at the rocks from across the room). That is no doubt the issue. I'll leave them off until the thing finally gets cycled.

No on the tap water, using RODI water. I've been having the lights on for 6-8 hours while I'm home after work (just so I can enjoy looking at the rocks from across the room). That is no doubt the issue. I'll leave them off until the thing finally gets cycled.

Well I ran my lights for 12 hrs while cycling so I could stare at the rocks lol. So I don't know I had a issue with a lot if diatoms but my critters are taking care of that

That's exactly what you should do. Where are your parameters?

That's exactly what you should do. Where are your parameters?

The ammonia is gone as usual, I'm going to start doing a 2ppm dosing every other day. The nitrites are still off the charts and until that changes I've decided to stop testing the nitrates.

I did pick up a little bottle of NITE-OUT II (that is all they had) today and put a little in the tank in the hope that it will kick start the nitrite munchers. I've never thought these bottle bugs were anything but snake-oil but figured I'd give it a shot.

I also topped off the tank with water due to the evaporation.

I've never used that product before. Interested to see if it speeds things up. Keep us posted, we will help where we can.

No movement on the nitrites. Dosed ammonia up to 2ppm today. Added another 2 cap fulls of the NITE-OUT II stuff. This is only the start of the 3rd week.

No movement on the nitrites. Dosed ammonia up to 2ppm today. Added another 2 cap fulls of the NITE-OUT II stuff. This is only the start of the 3rd week.

Where was your ammonia before you dosed it tonight? How long has it been since Dosing ammonia last? Throw a good size pinch of FINELY ground flake food in the tank. It works.

Where was your ammonia before you dosed it tonight? How long has it been since Dosing ammonia last? Throw a good size pinch of FINELY ground flake food in the tank. It works.

It was at zero again, I hadn't dosed it for 2 days. I have put in a a pinch or two of flake food ground up.

Test your Nitrate today. The
Niteout II may have caused you to skip the second part of the equation. I would test ammonia today again also. You don't want the ammonia level to get to 0 during this process. Dose it to 4 if it is 1 or less. Then check everything 24hrs later. Where is your PH and temp?

If you have a petco near you they sell a thing called bio spira. Worked wonders for me but I had an ammonia source and didn't have to dose it

Ammonia .5ppm
Nitrite between .5 and .25ppm
Nitrate 80ppm +
pH between 8.2 and 8.4

So first time all of the ammonia hasn't been gone the next day, weird. :blink:
Nitrite finally on the move, :dance: .
Nitrate way up. (y)
ph basically right were I was trying to get it. :fish2:

The ammonia level freaks me out a little as the tank was converting huge amounts every day. I guess I'll add a little more back up to 2ppm to keep things moving. VERY happy to see some movement on the nitrites.

Edit: I bet the ammonia change is due to the ground up flake food still decaying. That makes sense.

Awesome, just keep Dosing the ammonia back up when it reaches 1. Not much longer and you'll be ready for fish. Happy dance!

Guess what, I just tested my params (about 6 hours earlier than normal, out of boredom) and...

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates tons

Going to put in a little more ammonia today to keep things going. But I think I may be cycled! :dance::hide::dance:

Now if this holds up I guess my next step is to do a huge WC, get the temp, pH and salinity back to the right spots and then I can start getting some critters.

:D

Guess what, I just tested my params (about 6 hours earlier than normal, out of boredom) and...

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates tons

Going to put in a little more ammonia today to keep things going. But I think I may be cycled! :dance::hide::dance:

Now if this holds up I guess my next step is to do a huge WC, get the temp, pH and salinity back to the right spots and then I can start getting some critters.

:D

You are cycled! Happy happy joy joy! Do the huge water change the day before you pick up fish. Keep it dosed to 1 on ammonia till then. You are right on the money with everything else you have to do.
Congratulations! Post some pics when you can.

Just went and picked up 32 gallons of RO water for the WC. Have to let it sit at least a day to get the temp up. I'll probably try to get some critters this weekend, unless I see something funny with the tests. Need to go get some more salt.

Should I do a complete water change or just like 80-90%. I have a fear of stirring up all of the sand again. Pics will definitely be forth coming. :D

Back
Top Bottom