Taking the plunge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80% will be good. Definitely try not to stir up the sand too much. Not sure what you're using to transfer water back into the tank. Try siphoning it back in slowly and direct the flow on to a rock higher up in the tank.

Going to do the WC this afternoon and if everything goes well I'll be getting critters tomorrow. Now I know I can't add everything all at once but would:

1-2 of these little fish

Red Striped Goby
Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred
Spotted Cardinalfish
Tail Spot Blenny
Dracula Goby

1-2 of these corals

Hammer Coral, Branching
Giant Green Polyp Duncan - Aquacultured
Duncanopsammia Coral - Aquacultured
Lavender Mushroom

1-2 of these shrimp

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

be too much to start with? :angel: Should I start with just corals and wait on the fish and inverts? If I do just get corals can I get 3-5 of them?

just a suggestion but I would start with 2 clowns and some astria snails and hermit crabs (about 6 each)
I would wait a little bit on the coral to make sure your tank is stable enough and as for the shrimp I have no experience with saltwater shrimp but I know freshwater kinds sometimes need very stable water

Occ clowns are pretty hardy and can be a little territorial from what I was told so and to add them first.

what I mentioned is, what I done, and about a week later I added a leather coral but I think I should have waited a bit

Good advice, now watch me ignore it, lol. I'm such a twit.

Okay went to 2 of the LFSs with SW stuff, as I suspected the one that only does SW was much more helpful and nice. Plus their prices were better for the most part, better selection and WAY easier to tell what the prices were. Plus they were very impressed that I had a list with all of the details on the things I wanted and what I thought would get along well together. That was pretty funny.

Basically, even though I know I shouldn't, I will end up with some corals tomorrow. I find them far more interesting than the fish.

Red Striped Goby - Neither had this
Ocellaris Clownfish - One didn't have these. 2/$40 or 1/$25
Percula Clownfish - $20 each at one place 2 for $60 at the other
Spotted Cardinalfish One didn't have it. 1/$18
Tail Spot Blenny - 1/$26 and 1/$23
Dracula Goby - neither had this

various crabs - dirt cheap

Dwarf Colored Feather Duster - Neither had these specific one. $10
Hammer Coral, Branching - one didn't have any. $80 for a big one
Giant Green Polyp Duncan - both had them $200 and $150 (the 150 was 3 times the size, also $25 for a little plug)
Duncanopsammia Coral - neither had this.
Lavender Mushroom - one didn't have it. $25/plug
Green Fluorescent mushroom - $10 and $50 (this was a green hairy)
Snowflake polyps and Green Star polyps (looked at these)

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp - Neither had these specific shrimp one had something close for $30 each.

Another happy dance!
Watch that placement of the branching hammer coral. If you get one. Their aggressive.
absolutely love your rock work!

Thanks! So it looks like the hammer should be on the bottom of the tank, definitely getting one of these, just too pretty. The variety of corals in the LFS I'm going to stick with (the one with nice people) is crazy.

They have a fully running and established 29g cube (with the skimmer and everything) in there that is going for $600. I would love to have it. Starting from scratch is a better learning experience though. I'm very excited. :D :dance:

My hammer coral is at the top of my tank. I have massive maintenance tomorrow so I may place it on the bottom tomorrow with a bit more flow. My pipe organs love low to moderate flow.

So happy for you that the tank is cycled!!! So exciting!!!!

Just to throw in my 2 cents about the fish stocking:
It's usually best to stock the more peaceful fish first so that they can establish their space before the more bossy fish show up. Also, if the more aggressive fish are there too long, then they can decide the whole tank is theirs, and harass any fish you add after that. So, of the fish you listed, I would add the 2 cardinals first. They are very docile fish. Adding the clowns first can lead to trouble when you add fish later, as they are more aggressive than gobies or cardinals. So I would do cardinals, then in a week or so, the goby. Then a couple weeks after that, the clowns.

You could add a couple corals right away, just do the more hardy ones to start, like mushrooms, ricordeas, etc. Have fun shopping!!!

Tick, tick, tick, open, open, open. Another 90 minutes before the LFS opens.

Just like an aquariumaholic.
Oh wait, I've been sitting in my lfs parking lot 15min before opening time watching the clock.
I'm an aquariumaholic too!
The first step is admitting you have a problem!
I love my problem!

Just like an aquariumaholic.
Oh wait, I've been sitting in my lfs parking lot 15min before opening time watching the clock.
I'm an aquariumaholic too!
The first step is admitting you have a problem!
I love my problem!

Nice! I'll probably get there before mine opens as well. :D

Okay corals are in and two cardinal fish and one skunk cleaner shrimp. Will put up pics later when things calm down. Corals: Snowflake anthillia, Duncan, Palythoa, Hammer. Unfortunately my duncan snapped off the rock base while on the way home but I stuck him back on, hopefully everything will survive.

It was harder to place the corals than I thought it would be. I almost smashed one.

Okay corals are in and two cardinal fish and one skunk cleaner shrimp. Will put up pics later when things calm down. Corals: Snowflake anthillia, Duncan, Palythoa, Hammer. Unfortunately my duncan snapped off the rock base while on the way home but I stuck him back on, hopefully everything will survive.

The Duncan should be ok. Looking forward to some pictures! Congrats.

The corals are slowly opening up, except the snowflake. The shrimp seems right at home but the cardinals are hiding in the back corner. Can't wait till tomorrow, hopefully everyone will be out and about. I also put in one bottle of Tigger Pods. Hee hee. Can't stop looking.

Hey, there you are! Nice to see you back. Pics please!!

HEY LG!!! What is happening in your world?!? You still hauling water up the stairs? :D Pic will be up in a little while. Right now I can't find my camera mount for the tripod.

What is REALLY aggravating is when you always misplace the same **** thing over and over again. Then, you never find it when you need it, you ALWAYS find the thing at a point in time when don't think to put it somewhere you can find it later. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom