Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Taking the plunge...

After several years of freshwater tanks, today I'm starting a new saltwater tank. I have an unused 29g tank so what the heck.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool...... What you gonna do with it?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I haven't figured that out yet, lol. Working on getting the basics up today. Then once everything is settled have to get some live rock and build it up. I'm thinking easy corals and a few BRIGHTLY colored fish. I'm more interested in having a lot different corals than a bunch of fish. Right now anyway.

I'm open for suggestions as this will be my first SW tank.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like a sensible start. What lights do you have?

You'll want to keep your water nice and clean and your parameters stable for a really good reef. Go with an auto top off, a good protein skimmer, LED's, live rock and good flow.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I picked up today: Salt mix, hydrometer, marine water conditioner, Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Dual Lamp Fixture (will end up needing another one of these I think), substrate sand.

Now I have to run up to the hardware store to get some lumber to finish the tank stand. It has been being used in an unfinished state for a year, time to clean it up.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank stand is done, I'll put the trim on later. Tank is setup now, carrying all of the RO water in the house was a pain. Heater on, filter ... filtering, light lighting. Of course it looks like milk right now because of the sand. Doing a bunch of reading, kind of nice to have something new to come up to speed on.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay the temp is hanging right at 77F. My hydrometer is not floating in the green range though. I've already mixed in more salt than the instructions say to but I'm not at the correct salinity yet.

Is it okay to keep adding salt mix?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zparticle
Okay the temp is hanging right at 77F. My hydrometer is not floating in the green range though. I've already mixed in more salt than the instructions say to but I'm not at the correct salinity yet.

Is it okay to keep adding salt mix?
Yeah its fine to mix your water in the tank, just make sure the powerheads dissolve it well. Also, look into refractometers... Got mine for 30 bucks on ebay and it hasent failed me yet.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay I'm getting super frustrated. Dealing with too many things at the same time (not just this) and getting totally mixed messages from the various LFSs around here about SW.

One store told me I could use an HOB filter in a SW reef tank. So I figured cool, I have an extra Penguin laying around. I put in on the tank last night and I think it is now toast from the SW.

Another store tells me you can't do corals, even "easy" corals with an HOB. You have to have a refugium.

Another store basically tried to talk me out of it completely. "You should just go buy a tank that is already running on Craigs List."

Every question I asked seem to annoy these people more. I like being able to talk with people face to face when I'm learning things and this attitude and opposite info I'm getting is making wonder if taking this step is a big mistake.

1> Can I use HOB on SW reef or do I HAVE to have a refugium?
2> I picked up one small power head (marineland maxi-jet 400), for a 29g tank is that okay?
3> Should I just stick to FW, with which, I've had great success and have never had to deal this kind of behavior from LFSs?

HELP.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com