Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Taking the plunge... now, Protein Skimmer & Lighting Req

Greetings all.

I have finally ordered my tank, which is coming in next Tuesday! I'm going with a reef ready 75G, with 20 G aquarium sump, driven by Mag 12 pump. I plan on doing fish, LR and corals/anenomes at some future (future future) point.

For lights, I'm considering the following:

Coralife- 48" Lunar Aqualite w/
4x65 watt- 2 Actinic and 2 10,000K lamps and
Four 3/4 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED lamps

For the Skimmer:
An in-sump Excalibur Protein Skimmer SV2 (SV1 is rated to 100G, but I'll go with the SV2 to be safe).

What do you think of this combo for lights and skimmer?

I'm hoping to work my way up to some mid-level corals and perhaps an anenome, once the tank matures and I figure out what the heck I'm doing... and would like to make my lights and skimmer a one-time purchase. Just not sure if this is enough light to carry me through to the less difficult corals.

As always, thanks for your help. You are all an incredible resource.

David03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have those same lights on my 55 and I love them. On a 75, at 3.5wpg, you may be able to do some soft corals. I have no experience with that type skimmer so can't offer an opinion there.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome to AA!!!
RLG2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks to everyone for their input.

So, has anyone had any experience with the Excalibur Protein Skimmer? The guys at the LFS were very high on it... and I have found that they have been very forthright and seem very knowledgeable (even talking me down from a bigger tank, where they would have made more money).

I have also seen the Pro Clear MPS 150 (Protein Skimmer), for a bit cheaper. Here is a link:

I'm a bit leary at this price point (125.00). Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Old 05-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
That light fixture is a very good one. I am using one on my 72gal reef right now. I have a wide variety of soft corals, LPS corals a clam and a couple of Bulb tip anemones. All are thriving under this light. However...if you are like me, you will find yourself wanting more as time goes by. I am currently researching MH lighting to broaden the range of animals I can keep. Reef lighting is one of the more exspensive parts of putting together a tank. Hopefully, you will only need to do this once. Coralife also offers a PC 4x96 watt fixture as well as some MH fixtures for consideration. Bottom line...the fixture you are looking at is a good one and will enable you to keep a moderate variety of corals and such. Bumping up the lighting now will save you money in the future and give you more options of animals to keep. Henestly, I have been kicking myself for not getting a more powerful fixture in the begining.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for the input. Just did some searching for the 4x65 vs. the 4x96... Whew!!! Found the 4x65 for $212... while the 4x96 were well over $500.

I'm thinking that (at least for the moment ) I will be happy with the variety that you currently have (great gallery), and would be ecstatic to even get close to where you are now... If I become half the aquarist as the people on this site, then I'll happily dump another load into upgrading lights and all of that.

Thanks again.

And tell you what ... maybe people can just recommend a good skimmer, since my Excalibur and Proclear aren't setting the world on fire...

Thanks again,

light, lighting, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com