Tang feeding question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read you can feed tangs romaine lettuce, seaweed, vitamin enriched brine shrimp and a few other things. When using lettuce or seaweed how long should it be left on the Veggie clip?

I put 1/4 of a sheet in when I get up in the afternoon (I work 8PM to 4AM) and I just leave it in there. My tang eventually eats it all throughout the day. Just make sure there isn't a bunch on the clip just sitting there it will disintegrate and clog up your filter pads.

I put 1/4 of a sheet in when I get up in the afternoon (I work 8PM to 4AM) and I just leave it in there. My tang eventually eats it all throughout the day. Just make sure there isn't a bunch on the clip just sitting there it will disintegrate and clog up your filter pads.
Thanks for the info, when you say 1/4 sheet you're referring to the seaweed? Doing this doesn't affect the water parameters to badly?

Use nori, not lettuce or broccoli or other land based food which isn't naturally in a tangs diet. I put a few drops of GarlicXtreme on the nori and attach it to a clip which I have zip tied to a small piece of live rock. All the fish eat it, so it's gone in a few mins, but I wouldn't leave it in for more than a few hrs. It will start to disintegrate.

Thanks Larry, What is Nori and where can i get it? I have seaweed which i feed to my cichlids would that work?

I also use spirulina dried flakes that I will toss in and watch them eat it. As long as they are eating I add a little more, and stop when they are done. It is nice change to sheets every once in a while, and cheap and easy to store. Also a very good choice for herbivore fish.

Thanks guys. I just fed them Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp and they all went nuts especially the tang, I've never seen anything eat at warp speed before. Tomorrow I will try the seaweed.

Back
Top Bottom