Tang not eating much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trk1616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got 2 damsels, 1 purple chromis, 1 clown, 1 yellow tang. The tang is the most recent addition and he doesn't seem to look comfortable. He seems to have lost some color and doesn't devour the food like the others. I feed them 1 time in the mornings with flake food the majority of the time and every once and a while some shrimp. He just isn't aggressive enough with the food and ends up getting the scraps.

Any ideas?

Also, how about him not being as bright yellow...it seems like it comes and goes like my blue damsel....

Thanks,
TK

The faded color will be from lack of proper foods or just simpley adjusting to the new surroundings. They will often lighten in color when freightened or at night.

For feedings I would suggest getting some nori and placing it in a clip for it to graze on throughout the day. It will allow it to get a decent amount of nutrition and will not need to compete as much when it's general mayhem from feeding the other fish. Tangs are herbavores and do not require meat.

Keep tabs on the other fish (damsels primarily) for aggressive behavour that could also add to the tangs stress. A 36" long tank is not really a sufficient amount of space for a tang either.. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I have a yellow tank and I he eats everything, he even competes with the puffer and wrasse for full size Krill. I put dried up sea weed in the tank and I also feed him romain lettuce. I have no idea if the lettuce is bad but he devours it nicely. He is a nice bright yellow. I can guarantee you that the LFS fed him romain lettuce and I would try to introduce that to him in a veggie clip. Put it near his hidding place if you fear him not eating enough.

Back
Top Bottom