Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

tang? (what size tank?)

So how big do you need for a tang?
My new tank is a 150
Not been set up too long yet so I know to wait, but kicking ideas around with hubby
The guy at the lfs swears I can have a few tanya, but I just wanted to make sure
Are they hardy? Do they get along with others well? Anything I need to know? My buddy is taking down his system next month and wants me to take his yellow tang..is that an ok thing to do?

Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellygirl55
So how big do you need for a tang?
My new tank is a 150
Not been set up too long yet so I know to wait, but kicking ideas around with hubby
The guy at the lfs swears I can have a few tanya, but I just wanted to make sure
Are they hardy? Do they get along with others well? Anything I need to know? My buddy is taking down his system next month and wants me to take his yellow tang..is that an ok thing to do?
If your tank is 6+ feet long, lots of tangs can live in it comfortably. A yellow tang would be fine. You could also get some other tangs, such as kole, purple (these can be expensive), tomini, hippo, and two-spot bristletooth tangs. Have fun

I'm not really familiar with Tanya tangs though :/

Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

they can be hardy when it comes to tank perameters but they can suffer from stress and are prone to ich.

the more popular tang aka blue tang or dori require a 180 or larger where as the smaller ones like a yellow tang require 100gallons or more. live aquaria is a good place too look and if your 150 is a 48x24x30 most would recommend soem of the smaller ones, if it is a 72" i might keep a smaller blue tang but once it becomes full grown the 18" from front to back might be a little tight for it
Old 12-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I agree with the above posters. If it's a 6 foot tank then a couple tangs could go in comfortably. I have three tangs in my 125g 6 foot tank, a yellow, a tomini and a blue. I do hope to upgrade this coming year but for now everyone is happy and content.

I will say that tangs can get very stressed quite easily in fact but other than that they are a good fish. Just need to feed them plenty of greens and vegetation to help keep their immune systems up.

It's said that the blue tang is the most ich likely tang, so far I havent had that issue but it's something to consider.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have kept three in a 125 for many years. As long as it`s a 6 ft tank I would say you are OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
+1 for being ok in a 6ft tank. However, IMO if you are going to get 3 tangs, I would add them at the same time so there isn't a fight or one getting picked on by the other two because they have already dominated the tank. They need a lot of caves in the rock work. I have about 2-3 caves per tang in my tank.

Also, the yellow tang is kinda a tank bully. Mine is always the first to check out a bag being dropped in the tank. He is also aggressive towards anything else with yellow on it- tang or not.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow thanks for the imput...its a custom tank 52" long by 29 by 33" someone designed and built the tank got tons of caves however

I had heard about adding tangs together, does that mean all the same day or close like within a month?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here is a pic of the rockwork so u can ck out the cave situation

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111208_170548.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	64759

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111208_170635.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	64760
Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since your tank is not 6 ft you have to decide. A YT should be fine for the duration but a blue will eventually outgrow. So you should pass unless you have a relocation plan or will upgrade down the line. Kole tangs are nice as well. A YT and a Kole would work nice or a YT, Purple and Kole. The only issue is a blue tang
Old 12-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok no blue...I agree, thanks! What about a sailfin? I hear they are smaller?

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com