tang? (what size tank?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellygirl55

Aquarium Advice Activist
So how big do you need for a tang?
My new tank is a 150
Not been set up too long yet so I know to wait, but kicking ideas around with hubby
The guy at the lfs swears I can have a few tanya, but I just wanted to make sure
Are they hardy? Do they get along with others well? Anything I need to know? My buddy is taking down his system next month and wants me to take his yellow tang..is that an ok thing to do?

shellygirl55 said:
So how big do you need for a tang?
My new tank is a 150
Not been set up too long yet so I know to wait, but kicking ideas around with hubby
The guy at the lfs swears I can have a few tanya, but I just wanted to make sure
Are they hardy? Do they get along with others well? Anything I need to know? My buddy is taking down his system next month and wants me to take his yellow tang..is that an ok thing to do?

If your tank is 6+ feet long, lots of tangs can live in it comfortably. A yellow tang would be fine. You could also get some other tangs, such as kole, purple (these can be expensive), tomini, hippo, and two-spot bristletooth tangs. Have fun :)

I'm not really familiar with Tanya tangs though :/

they can be hardy when it comes to tank perameters but they can suffer from stress and are prone to ich.

the more popular tang aka blue tang or dori require a 180 or larger where as the smaller ones like a yellow tang require 100gallons or more. live aquaria is a good place too look and if your 150 is a 48x24x30 most would recommend soem of the smaller ones, if it is a 72" i might keep a smaller blue tang but once it becomes full grown the 18" from front to back might be a little tight for it

Yep, I agree with the above posters. If it's a 6 foot tank then a couple tangs could go in comfortably. I have three tangs in my 125g 6 foot tank, a yellow, a tomini and a blue. I do hope to upgrade this coming year but for now everyone is happy and content.

I will say that tangs can get very stressed quite easily in fact but other than that they are a good fish. Just need to feed them plenty of greens and vegetation to help keep their immune systems up.

It's said that the blue tang is the most ich likely tang, so far I havent had that issue but it's something to consider. :)

I have kept three in a 125 for many years. As long as it`s a 6 ft tank I would say you are OK.

+1 for being ok in a 6ft tank. However, IMO if you are going to get 3 tangs, I would add them at the same time so there isn't a fight or one getting picked on by the other two because they have already dominated the tank. They need a lot of caves in the rock work. I have about 2-3 caves per tang in my tank.

Also, the yellow tang is kinda a tank bully. Mine is always the first to check out a bag being dropped in the tank. He is also aggressive towards anything else with yellow on it- tang or not.

Wow thanks for the imput...its a custom tank 52" long by 29 by 33" someone designed and built the tank :) got tons of caves however

I had heard about adding tangs together, does that mean all the same day or close like within a month?

Here is a pic of the rockwork so u can ck out the cave situation

ForumRunner_20111208_170548.jpg

ForumRunner_20111208_170635.jpg

Since your tank is not 6 ft you have to decide. A YT should be fine for the duration but a blue will eventually outgrow. So you should pass unless you have a relocation plan or will upgrade down the line. Kole tangs are nice as well. A YT and a Kole would work nice or a YT, Purple and Kole. The only issue is a blue tang

Ok no blue...I agree, thanks! What about a sailfin? I hear they are smaller?

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Kole Yellow Eye Tang

Great site to look up different fish. I take the descriptions with a grain of salt because they are a retailer after all. They do mention compatability issues, but I feel you still need to do more research after reading their description. They seem to be accurate about size and diet info, but always double check things. That's what we are here for.

I'm actually considering a Kole now. They are pretty good looking.

Oh holy cow! For some reason I thought they were the smallest!! I am glad I asked!!

Thanks for the info on the other tang..followed the link and found all kinds of stuff too read :)

Yeah koles are small and Scopas as well though I think koles are prettier. If you have the budget, purples are gorgeous.

Yes they are very very cool fish...did some reading on different ones last night, budgets ok but I live in a pretty small town, so its hard to come by the cooler stuff. Actually the one fish guy from the only lfs is no longer working there so now I am going to have real problems getting stuff :(

I Actually got the majority of my fish from saltwaterfish.com. For one, I don't Necessarily trust the LFS's and I have 4. SWfish keeps their fish in cupramine dosed tanks and they do a great job packing and shipping. They have deals all the time. Get on their email list to stay up to speed.

Shipping is 35 up to like 100 then it goes down. So, when you're ready, place and order large enough and get free shipping. Ppl go in together and split shipping as well.

Liveaquaria has a guarantee just like SWfish, but to me, the kicker is the cupramine. I've had issues with both but chalk up those issues to extenuating circumstances rather than operational or quality of the shopper.

Don't limit what you want by your location.

You may want to try and find a hobbyist looking to unload a purple. With the conflicts in the region, I'm told they've stopped exporting so the price has exceeded 250. Last year you could buy for under 100

Last edited:
I paid 80$ for my purple tang off of Craigslist from a guy breaking down his tank. Out of 7 LFS by me- only one has a purple- they want $275 for a 3.5 inch

Back
Top Bottom