Tangs :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RICH305

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have this yellow tang in my 125 and this past week was my birthday so my friend decided to get me a gift and he brought home a sail-fin I love the fish but these guys are not getting along well any ideas??

I would give them some time. It took almost 2 days for my yellow and Kole to stop harassing the new Blue tang. After a lights out and over night they are fine now.

You could try re a rranging some rock, kinda confuse them. :)

Well they still go at time since Saturday and my sail fin is starting to miss parts of his fin ;( what if I add another tang to distract him? I want to get a blue yellow belly tang also but I dnt wantto have this same problem?

They say to add all tangs at the same time. i did it within 1 week and still had issues. If it's been going on for a few days though, I'm not sure if they will get along eventually. :-(

It's rude since it was a gift, but can you exchange it for a different fish, maybe one you wanted and planned on getting?

What if I take them both out and keep them in my friends local fish store for about two weeks and them buy and blue tang and throw them all in at the same time two weeks later will this make sense? Or will these little creatures still remember the tank?

It would be better to introduce them back to the tank at the same time. Those three should do OK in a 125. Here is mine in a 125 reef.

029.jpg

Nice so out the tank for two weeks is a good idea? And throw all three in after two weeks?

mike don't sailfins get rather big? live aquaria stats they can get up to 15", how is yours doing ?

Gti_Leo said:
mike don't sailfins get rather big? live aquaria stats they can get up to 15", how is yours doing ?

You have any ideas or is my two weeks in a lfs a good idea?

yeah that should be fine, melosu knows better then i do, i've never housed a tang before, i only have a 26g FOWLR getting ready to go reef in a week or two

Yes, sailfins get that big in the wild, but rarely live long enough in captivity to do so. So sad...

. i'm sure with the right care and the right home they can live as long

Really? I've rarely heard of hobby fish surviving that long. I did read a report where a sailfin lived for 15 years at the Waikiki Aquarium. Do you think there are there lots of people coming close to that these days?

I agree with Leo I dnt see why not? Right care right everything it should be fine

who knows, hat do fish live to i nthe wild?

Some surgeons live to be at least 40 and 50 years (yellow tangs and bluespine unicorns), parrotfishes to at least 30. There just aren't that many studies done on life history traits.

Really? I've rarely heard of hobby fish surviving that long. I did read a report where a sailfin lived for 15 years at the Waikiki Aquarium. Do you think there are there lots of people coming close to that these days?

Sailfin Tangs in the wild can live 50 years (although most dont live that long), I would venture to say that there are very, very few people that have even had the same tank set up for more than 30.....

Can you guys tell me what this is thanks! Green slime looking thing in the sand and brown stuff on the top of the sand

Attachments

• image-940816403.jpg
    image-940816403.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2072472777.jpg
    image-2072472777.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom