Tangs in 75gal..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys,

Have a friend who is wanting to put a yellow tang and Kole Tang in a 75gal.. with a bunch of chromis (6 or 7) and hawkfish.

Im borderline yes/no, anyone want to give their 2 cents?

One would surely be fine, but if he is going to go with two tangs in a 75, that is borderline but a good choice of tangs.

I would think he will be ok..as long as he sticks to the plan and doesnt add more stuff down the road. (other than what is listed) The tangs are different body shapes, neither gets very large.

I had a yellow and kole tang in a 55 for 5 years with no problem. They are the only two you could get away with in a 55

Me and the tang police (brenden) are friends. I paid him off. :wink: Both of them can be put in smaller tanks (55 or 75). Other tangs need to be in 100+.

The Bristletooth/Tomini, Convict, & Mimic tangs are fine for a 75 gal as well since they all max out at 8”.

I’ve kept Yellow tangs in 55 gal tanks as well over the years and currently have a 2 year old 5” YT in my 55 gal without any trouble. They grow pretty quickly the first 1-3 years but slow down considerably after that.

IMO they need a longer then wider tank of at least 4 feet for adequate swimming room and the difference between 55 gal and 75 gal is minimal when it comes to housing these tangs since they both are 4 feet long.

Considering they do get fairly large for a 55/75 gal tank it’s still best to lightly stock with 2-3 smaller or 1-2 larger fish with them to keep no3 to a minimum.

Here is mine that I showed in earlier post he is 6 inces long

img_659515_0_17744f143e1fa30cbc428ec236651f5f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom