Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Tank 1 redo/care

For those of you who have followed/helped me with the other tanks I've been trying to fix up I'm down to my last 2 tanks. I've decided to do them as separate posts because I'm guessing they will have different needs. Please keep in mind I've inherited both of these tanks in their current condition and know NOTHING about saltwater tanks.

Okay here is tank 1.

It'll need to have the salt scraped off and the glass cleaned. I should be able to do this with a scrubber like I did with the cichlid tank correct?

There is a lot of green algae on the sand and glass is this normal? I thought thatwas a freshwater issue. How do I get rid of it?

The stock is 1 clown fish, 2 yellow tail damsels, 1 four stripe damsel 1 six lined wrasse and a sea urchin. Does this sound okay? The fish hide like crazy. They are almost never out. Is this typical or what should I do to encourage them to come out?

Also what should I feed them? One of the students was feeding then regular fish food is this fine?

I included pics of the filtration system is there anything special I should know/do with it?

Also how much time should the light be on? Currently its on 24/7 because that's what the guy told me he always left it as.

Last thing. When I refill the tank how do I know how much salt I need to put in?

Sorry its so long. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1394659252154.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	227591   Click image for larger version

Name:	1394659289835.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	227592  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1394659306849.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	227593  

Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Woah. It seems to be in pretty bad shape. I would drain the entire tank, buy new sand, A LOT more rock, transfer the stock to the LFS if they can hold it. Soak the tank in vinegar, rinse well.
Clean the protein skimmer... Probably get new lights... Fill it up with freshwater... Make sure everything works. Drain it again. Put rock then water then sand back in, re-cycle the tank, and get your stock back in.

55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
yea i agree i would start that tank over from scratch clean everything and re-cycle it
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote

care, red, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com