Tank 2 redo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I just checked my water because I was curious and wanted to know what it was before I left for the day. When I dosed the ammonia this morning it was around 1. Here is what I got for results tonight.

1395266364317.jpg

I actually tested the ammonia twice because I thought I had messed something up but same result. Does this mean my tank is cycled? Is it possible that I didn't kill off the bb when I cleaned everything and that's why I'm getting basically no readings? When I cleaned, I didn't do anything to the filter or filter media so that should ask still be established. Thoughts? It seems WAY too soon to be fully cycled to me.

Well, as other users said, wait 24 hours to test and see. A tank won't cycle in a matter of hours, or a day.

Maybe you didn't add enough ammonia for it to be detectable?

So I just checked my water because I was curious and wanted to know what it was before I left for the day. When I dosed the ammonia this morning it was around 1. Here is what I got for results tonight.

View attachment 229060

I actually tested the ammonia twice because I thought I had messed something up but same result. Does this mean my tank is cycled? Is it possible that I didn't kill off the bb when I cleaned everything and that's why I'm getting basically no readings? When I cleaned, I didn't do anything to the filter or filter media so that should ask still be established. Thoughts? It seems WAY too soon to be fully cycled to me.

What did you do with the rock when you were cleaning? Most of your bb will be on them. You can always dose it back up to verify, maybe go to 2 ppm this time

No I tested it right after I added the ammonia and the tube was clearly green. I kept adding ammonia until it was clearly green so I wouldn't have to guess if it cycled out.

Sorry that was this morning that I tested right after adding to get a green result and then I waited all day and tested again now it's back to yellow.

What did you do with the rock when you were cleaning? Most of your bb will be on them. You can always dose it back up to verify, maybe go to 2 ppm this time

I filled a big bucket with water from the tank and then I scoopedd them out of the tank with an ice cream bucket and dumped them into the big bucket. Once I cleaned the tank and got the salt right I just put them back in. They spent almost no time out of the water and I didn't scrub them or even rinse them. I didn't want to lose the algae.

I'll just re dose it tomorrow and see if it still dips

Now that the tank may be cycled/is cycling I'm hoping for some advice on stocking here is what I'm thinking.

Fish:
Four stripe damsel
Yellow tail damsel x2
Strawberry pseudochromis
Watchmen Goby

Inverts:
1 coral banded shrimp or 2 peppermint shrimp
1 brittle sea star
Bumblebee snails
Scarlet hermit crabs

Corals:
Zoas
Mushrooms
Something fluttery?

Thoughts?

I see no problem with that, the damsels may turn aggressive, but bio load wise it's ok

Your bioload seems good.

By fluttery do you mean waving tenticals? If so, the euphilia family is what you want to look at.

(I'm pretty sure I spelled euphilia wrong.)

Your bioload seems good.

By fluttery do you mean waving tenticals? If so, the euphilia family is what you want to look at.

(I'm pretty sure I spelled euphilia wrong.)

Thanks. That isexactly whati waslooking for. What type of lighting requirements would these have?

My ammonia dosing this morning.

1395325816907.jpg

Since its later in the day, I'll test it again in the morning.

Thanks. That isexactly whati waslooking for. What type of lighting requirements would these have?

Euphies like moderate lighting and low to moderate flow. Frogspawns and hammers are a little less aggressive than the others and can usually live within touching range of each other

So I re tested my levels this morning after dosing it yesterday. I'm just note getting around to posting it but here is what I got.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1395432715950.jpg
    1395432715950.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 42
That's what I was thinking too. Odd but I'll take it.

What should the first thing I put in it be? I'm thinking some of the inverts as I'm seeing more aiptasias and don't want to do coals until that's under control.

I would say add a peaceful fish as your first inhabitant. Also aiptasia x works great.

Back
Top Bottom