Tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm stumped on that one. Doesn't resemble anything I have seen. Maybe ask who you bought tank from what all the equipment is???

Looks about right. Magnum is a good brand. Looks like you got 3 canister filters then.

No way. Not sure why had 3 in first place. Unless they ran different media in each. Or maybe they ran empty for water movement. Did you get any in tank pumps for water motion in tank?? In a reef tank your main filtration comes from the beneficial bacteria on your rocks. You should have about 1 pound of rock per gallon of water is the rule of thumb. I have a canister filter and it is mainly filled with rock rubble for more bacteria to adhere to. I do occasionally run reef carbon and I do use " chemi pure elite " which is great.

So that first picture I can use for the movement? I'm not sure if she used all 3 of those or not... We got it from a lady off Craigslist :-/ and she gave me ALL her rock she had

That Magnum 350 is a pretty old version of that model canister filter. While cycling, take a good look at your trates. Without regular maintenance on your canisters, they can be a nitrate factory.

I wouldn't count on canister for the only movement. I would use it mainly to run media if need and will also give you some water movement. You should have multiple pumps in your tank for water movement. Reefs love lots of water motion. I use koralia pumps. They are sleek looking and move water great. I have a 90 gallon and I have 4 in my tank and there also is a return pump from my sump. Which is more water motion.

image-1484452797.png

I did mine with ammonia. I read that lava rock doesn't host the bacteria. Only real ocean rock does

AquaRick said:
That Magnum 350 is a pretty old version of that model canister filter. While cycling, take a good look at your trates. Without regular maintenance on your canisters, they can be a nitrate factory.

Agreed about the nitrate factory if you keep the guts in it what comes out of the box like sponges and filter floss. Better off running empty or with rock rubble in it and use media when needed. I don't think will have nitrate build up if just rock rubble. Do ya? If so maybe I should get rid of mine. Although my nitrates have been always close to 0. Maybe 5 or 10ppm at the most

Nah, the rubble won't cause a nitrate build up. It will have enough flow going through it. Good call on removing all media and just using LR rubble and only adding filter media if you need it etc.

Welcome to the hobby!

Post pics (list of what u have) of all you received we ( hobbyists) can ID the items so you know what you and what you need or don't need.

To start tap water is ok. I have used tap water with de-chlorinator (Prime) for a year.
Wash the old rock with good water pressure so it gets cleaned well.
Do wash the sand before adding to system.

I will as soon as I get back home... I use tap water for my freshwater fish and use prime in it...

Back
Top Bottom