Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank advice

I'm just starting up a SW tank and was wondering if you could put old "live" rocks that have been out of the water for who knows how long with new ones that already have stuff growing on them?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I don't see why not. Everything on the rocks that have been out forever and a day would be dead and basically base rock at that point. I would add them in slowly to avoid possible ammonia spikes and such incase not everything was dead.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #3

Yeah after its been out a while it basically base rock but better than the crap from Arizona they sell
Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will they come back alive?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J19Reynolds View Post
Will they come back alive?
Sure,,they will soon become home to all the tiny little critters and microorganisms in your tank..Thats all "live rock" really is,,home to all the good critters and bacterias needed for our systems
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome thanks
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

You should purchase some live Rock tho. Maybe order online or LFS. This will seed your base rock and help with your cycle. Have you started a cycle yet?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No I havent started a cycling yet... I just got my tank 3 days ago and going threw all the stuff she gave with it... I'm in the process of cleaning of the old rock she gave me what are covered on salt... I was then going to place them and my Sand in the empty tank... Then don't know where to go from there
Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

You should be ok I've done it with no problems and I've used lava rocks as base rocks cuz im cheep.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by J19Reynolds
No I havent started a cycling yet... I just got my tank 3 days ago and going threw all the stuff she gave with it... I'm in the process of cleaning of the old rock she gave me what are covered on salt... I was then going to place them and my Sand in the empty tank... Then don't know where to go from there
Do you have RO system? I would definitely recommend that. Tap water isn't good for a reef system. Lots of chlorine and excess nutrients and will cause lots of algae blooms.

After get you rock setup start filling with water. Then you can add some live rock. Even if only few lbs to start your cycle and at the same time seeding your tank. Also a good idea to throw in a cocktail shrimp this will rot in your tank and create ammonia spike and kick start your cycle. Will take a few weeks to a month before your cycle is complete. I even put a cap full of ammonia in my tank to get my ammonia spike. Prolly not recommended but it did work for me for a quick ammonia spike. Get some test kits. Monitor your ammonia nitrites and nitrates. When your ammonia and nitrites are both 0 your cycle is complete nitrates then will start to increase and you Can start to add your clean up crew.

If you cant get a RO system right now look into "tap water filter" don't remember who makes it. I'll try to find a pic of it. But I used it for a year or so when I first started my tank. Not perfect water but it is way better than tap water.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com