Tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J19Reynolds

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm just starting up a SW tank and was wondering if you could put old "live" rocks that have been out of the water for who knows how long with new ones that already have stuff growing on them?

I don't see why not. Everything on the rocks that have been out forever and a day would be dead and basically base rock at that point. I would add them in slowly to avoid possible ammonia spikes and such incase not everything was dead.

Yeah after its been out a while it basically base rock but better than the crap from Arizona they sell

Will they come back alive?
Sure,,they will soon become home to all the tiny little critters and microorganisms in your tank..Thats all "live rock" really is,,home to all the good critters and bacterias needed for our systems

You should purchase some live Rock tho. Maybe order online or LFS. This will seed your base rock and help with your cycle. Have you started a cycle yet?

No I havent started a cycling yet... I just got my tank 3 days ago and going threw all the stuff she gave with it... I'm in the process of cleaning of the old rock she gave me what are covered on salt... I was then going to place them and my Sand in the empty tank... Then don't know where to go from there

You should be ok I've done it with no problems and I've used lava rocks as base rocks cuz im cheep.

J19Reynolds said:
No I havent started a cycling yet... I just got my tank 3 days ago and going threw all the stuff she gave with it... I'm in the process of cleaning of the old rock she gave me what are covered on salt... I was then going to place them and my Sand in the empty tank... Then don't know where to go from there

Do you have RO system? I would definitely recommend that. Tap water isn't good for a reef system. Lots of chlorine and excess nutrients and will cause lots of algae blooms.

After get you rock setup start filling with water. Then you can add some live rock. Even if only few lbs to start your cycle and at the same time seeding your tank. Also a good idea to throw in a cocktail shrimp this will rot in your tank and create ammonia spike and kick start your cycle. Will take a few weeks to a month before your cycle is complete. I even put a cap full of ammonia in my tank to get my ammonia spike. Prolly not recommended but it did work for me for a quick ammonia spike. Get some test kits. Monitor your ammonia nitrites and nitrates. When your ammonia and nitrites are both 0 your cycle is complete nitrates then will start to increase and you Can start to add your clean up crew.

If you cant get a RO system right now look into "tap water filter" don't remember who makes it. I'll try to find a pic of it. But I used it for a year or so when I first started my tank. Not perfect water but it is way better than tap water.

J19Reynolds said:
RO is what?

Reverse osmosis it is a water purification system. Your actually want RO/DI. Doionize Is the di part. It gives your pure water 0 ppm. It may cost a few hundred bucks but it will pay for it self in the long run. You can also use that tap water filter temporarily or most local fish stores sell RO water. Here is a pic of why they look like. Check filter guys website or I hear bulk reef supply is good too.

image-848431134.jpg

That looks like a canister filter. Not entirely sure. Definitely Is not a RO system. If You could take pics of what the tubes are attached to I could maybe tell for sure. If it is a canister filter you would put media in there like carbon or phosphate remover or chemi pure. Or even rock rubble. It would help with the filtration of the aquarium as well as add water movement. Need good water movement in Reef tank. Should have multiple submersible pumps in display tank to move water.

Yeah I would say those are input and outputs of a canister filter. Do some googling on starting a saltwater tank. You can read forever. Look into the cycling process. Maybe goto Barnes and nobles there are tons of books. Just research. When you love it it won't feel like work. I still learn things all the time and I have loved this hobby for 7 years now.

Not sure why they are. But they also look like canister filters. But usually 1 Is good enough for a tank. It looks like they have input and output as well. What is inside of them?? How long has this person had the tank setup for? That equipment looks fairly old. Not necessarily bad tho. If cleaned thoroughly should be able to use if you can figure out what it is. But snap a pic of inside those black canisters.

Back
Top Bottom