Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2003, 01:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
tank and stand level

well ive had my tank for over a month now and it seems to have "settled". its not level now though. what can I do to restabilize it? i bought a bunch of shims but not sure if they will make a difference.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Which is not level? The tank or the stand? I would start by checking the level on the stand. Once you know what is outta whack (technical term! ) you can determine the best way to make it level again. If it is the stand that is not level anymore, im sure shims would do fine...but that depends on what the stand is on ( carpet, wood floors, concrete) I think shims would also be fine for the tank as well, if that was the culprit. Hope that helps!

Old 08-11-2003, 04:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
the stand is on very old carpet which has cement underneath. would hammering the shims in when the tank is full cause it to collapse? its a 75 gallon perfecto stand. i assume the stand itself is not level. when i set up the tank i did level it. the amount of space is a little less than a 16th of an inch off. the front is lower than the back but i have all my rock in the back. everyonce in a while i hear the stand creak and worries me that it will collapse.
the cycle is almost finished and was going to maybe shim it during a 75% water change. kinda dont want to take all the stuff out and start over.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:35 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Your tank and stand is probably very close to 1000lbs. Its doubtful you could get a shim under the tank stand between it and the floor.

I would not shim the tank at the stand level. Its important the tank have a flat surface to sit on and puting a shim between teh tank and stand will cause undue stress at the corners and joints.

How far off level is it?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 02:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

less than 1/16". i had no choice to put this here it was the most level spot in the room. and i would be putting the shims between the tank and the stand only the floor and stand.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Less than a 16th shouldn't hardly be visible to the eye any way...i wouldn't worry about it
Old 08-11-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

actually i just got a ruler. its closer to 1/8 inch on one side (front of the tank) and less than 1/16 inch on the back. not one spot on the entire stand shows that its level. however all the weight is mostly distrubuted in the rear of the tank where all the weight is (rock/sump/overflow/ph's/skimmer/majority of the dsb).

basically if your looking at the tank from the front its leaning towards you. just trying to give a visual.

am i just being paranoid when the stand creaks or is this really of some concern? is there any way other than shims to relevel if i have to? its been up over a month now so im hoping if its gone this far its good to go.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

1/16 is nothing at all. I agree that any shimming should be done under the stand, you don't want to be hammering anywhere near your tank. And FF, I have shimmed up trusses and roof rafters before, nothing beats the good old wedge.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

what about the creaking of the stand? is that normal?

Tags
level, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com