tank and stand level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butters

Aquarium Advice Regular
well ive had my tank for over a month now and it seems to have "settled". its not level now though. what can I do to restabilize it? i bought a bunch of shims but not sure if they will make a difference.

Which is not level? The tank or the stand? I would start by checking the level on the stand. Once you know what is outta whack (technical term! :wink:) you can determine the best way to make it level again. If it is the stand that is not level anymore, im sure shims would do fine...but that depends on what the stand is on ( carpet, wood floors, concrete) I think shims would also be fine for the tank as well, if that was the culprit. Hope that helps!
:snipersmile:

the stand is on very old carpet which has cement underneath. would hammering the shims in when the tank is full cause it to collapse? its a 75 gallon perfecto stand. i assume the stand itself is not level. when i set up the tank i did level it. the amount of space is a little less than a 16th of an inch off. the front is lower than the back but i have all my rock in the back. everyonce in a while i hear the stand creak and worries me that it will collapse.
the cycle is almost finished and was going to maybe shim it during a 75% water change. kinda dont want to take all the stuff out and start over.

Your tank and stand is probably very close to 1000lbs. Its doubtful you could get a shim under the tank stand between it and the floor.

I would not shim the tank at the stand level. Its important the tank have a flat surface to sit on and puting a shim between teh tank and stand will cause undue stress at the corners and joints.

How far off level is it?

less than 1/16". i had no choice to put this here it was the most level spot in the room. and i would be putting the shims between the tank and the stand only the floor and stand.

actually i just got a ruler. its closer to 1/8 inch on one side (front of the tank) and less than 1/16 inch on the back. not one spot on the entire stand shows that its level. however all the weight is mostly distrubuted in the rear of the tank where all the weight is (rock/sump/overflow/ph's/skimmer/majority of the dsb).

basically if your looking at the tank from the front its leaning towards you. just trying to give a visual.

am i just being paranoid when the stand creaks or is this really of some concern? is there any way other than shims to relevel if i have to? its been up over a month now so im hoping if its gone this far its good to go.

1/16 is nothing at all. I agree that any shimming should be done under the stand, you don't want to be hammering anywhere near your tank. And FF, I have shimmed up trusses and roof rafters before, nothing beats the good old wedge.

Back
Top Bottom