Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
Tank been cycling for about 2+ weeks now, havnet added....?

OK I have been cycling my tank for at least 2 weeks now. Thing is I take my salinity levels everyday. At first it was really high and I keep adding freshwater to bring it down. I finally got it to 1.024 and 1.023 the following day. The tank evaporates quick (10gallon). So everyday I check the salinity it has gone up 0.001 everyday. I have yet to add a premixed saltwater solution. Is this normal? Seems like I have added ALOT of freshwater.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

what size tank and what temp is it running. What type of lights..
What SG/salinity are you looking to get? Most keep there tanks at 1.025 for reefs and between .020-.025 for fowlrs..
The only time you should add new salt water is when you do a water change.
And yes its normal to have your Salinity raise as the water evaporates, salt does not evaporate so its left behind. Just keep up on top offs and you'll be fine.
I have a auto top off so I don't have to worry about salinity swings.
In smaller tanks it does not take much evaporation to get a swing in salinity.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
With the sized tank you have you should add replacment fresh water every day to replace the water thats evaporated. The only time you add saltwater to the system is when you physically remove water. This is because when water evaporates the salt is left behind.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You can also try to get a nice fitting glass top that goes under your hood to limit evap.
75 gal FOWLR. 110 lbs. LR, 20 Hermit Crabs (15 blue leg, 5 red leg) 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Tang, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Serpent Star. Cascade 1200 Canister filter, Red Sea Deluxe Hang on Protein Skimmer, 2 rio 600 phds, 2 in Aragonite substrate. / QT tank 10 gal 5 lbs. LR, Hang on spill over filter & 1 phd w/ attached filter. (currently housing Coral Beauty)
K Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
With the sized tank you have you should add replacment fresh water every day to replace the water thats evaporated. The only time you add saltwater to the system is when you physically remove water. This is because when water evaporates the salt is left behind.
Ok cool that makes sense. Is a .001 change daily bad for fish. LIke say I was to keep it to 1.024 and it changed to 25 by the next morning? That seems to be the regular swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by k dub
You can also try to get a nice fitting glass top that goes under your hood to limit evap.
I was going to do this but I already have probs with the tank getting hot with my room temps. I dont have my light i will be using. Im just useing a generic florescent light. I will have a satallite dual light.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding a glass top is not a good idea... You want gas exchange and evaporation to help with cooling.
Once you get a better light you will probably get more evaporation. .001 swing is not too bad. Thats the problem with small tanks, it takes very little water loss to change the salinity.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com