Tank broke! Quittin' time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erok7620

Aquarium Advice Activist
So this morning i woke up at 6am to my girlfriend yelling something about the tank. I go in the living room and as sure as my feet are wet there is a huge crack in my 4mo old 28g tank! I just set up a 90g in the same room about two weeks ago and about had a heart attack when I heard something happened to the tank! The floors are soaked and my fish are swimming in two inches of water. Im lucky i didnt get electrocuted by the soaked power strip laying in the lake that used to be my living room. Abyone have any idea why this would have happened? Its a POS top fin but this thing cracked for no reason out of nowhere! Anyway, as my livestock are all living in a 5 gal bucket im contemplating getting out of the hobby until I have a basement to set up a tank. I guess my questions/coments are does anyone live anywhere near springfield IL want to adopt some fish/inverts and buy some aquarium equipment? I would post in classifieds but the site wont let me(guess cause im a newby). Im very sad at the moment thinking about this but I dont think my nerves can handle another tank right now. Talk to me, let me know if anyone is interested.
Check out the pics in my gallery of the broken tank and the one Im contemplating selling.
Thanks for reading. I would appreciate any encouragement or advise.

Looking at the photo in your gallery, was it sitting on an actual tank stand? Or is that just a coffee or end table? From the crack, it almost looks like maybe the tank was point loaded at the corners and didn't have any support along that entire front edge? Could that be possible? Just thinking out loud here...

it was a tank stand purchased at petco. the tank wasnt hanging off at any spot or anything, the stand is a few inches wider on each side and an inch or so in the front and back.

Wow! Sorry to hear that, but it does look like a stress fracture, like the stand wasn't level, just thinking out loud like Kurt.

That does look like a stress fracture. Did you ever check the tank for level, or notice if the water line was off level?

Assuming the 90 is on a proper stand and level you can take a deep breath and think about how seldom something like this happens.

I have spilled gallons of water before from carelessness and stupidity (left the house to run an errand while making a 5 gal pail of RODI, etc.) that I bought a wet/dry shop vac for the next occurrence.

come to think of it the water was not perfectly level, it was slightly higher on one side. I never worried about it too much since it was a rather small tank and until recently didnt understand the importance of tanks being perfectly level. The day before this happened I was working on leveling my 90g, guess i should have checked the little one too. live and learn.

Sorry to hear about that. I sure hope you dont give it up. Maybe another tank might not be that expensive. 29 gallon tanks arent that expensive if you wanted to set one up.

Back
Top Bottom