Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Aquarium1.
Jimbo, yes everything will go through a GFI.

Got about 8 hours in last night and get to work about half of the day today and tomorrow. I plan on having this thing finished by Sunday evening. I got lucky and found a great deal on an almost new RO/DI system locally so I hope to start making water later today.

Photos from yesterday. Basically everything is put together - just need to do a final sanding and start applying polyurethane... then I can mount the doors, anchor down the top etc... after that I can move into the house! Thing has to weigh close to 200 pounds or more! lol.

Sitting without doors on.

Top is drilled but not fastened down yet.

I forgot to show the sump sitting on a piece of low density foam I bought. This was recommended by melevsreef.com so I thought I should do it.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Not sure if you knew this or not, but whenever you get a new filter for it your supposed to discard the first 10g of water from it. Just makin sure

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Stand looks great. You did a really nice job on it. Build is progressing nicely.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:51 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to maxima423
looking great =] guess i will follow
Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium1 View Post
Not sure if you knew this or not, but whenever you get a new filter for it your supposed to discard the first 10g of water from it. Just makin sure
Hey, thanks for sharing that tid-bit...just in case the instructions (like how it works) come like the skimmer's did...oh, wait...it didn't have any!!!

LOVE the stand! I guess you do know what you're doing...my bad for even suggesting you needed bracing to prevent swaying
Old 08-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the comments.... I am exhausted after a long weekend of working on this project.....

Here is the nice RO/DI system I bought... Is like new - used just a couple times. I am not sure what each chamber does.. need to learn a little more about what I bought.

I mounted the system in my mechanical room which has a floor drain and an easy location to tie into a water line. I started making RO water right away. Slow process I found out.

Back to the stand... Finally everything is about done and ready for stain!!!!

After a coat of stain.

And after 3 coats of polyurethane.

Time to install the doors.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice Activist

I put together the Skimmer. This skimmer (Octopus extreme 160) is supposed to run best between 8 &10 inches of water so I added 3" legs because my skimmer chamber is about 11.5" deep. I used some of my acrylic scraps.

Then I put it together and cleaned and ran it in a utility sink. This is my first experience with this type of skimmer... I am not sure how to adjust anything beyond the water flow... There are not a lot of bubbles put out by this thing so perhaps I am doing something wrong? It came with no instructions/operation manual.... So I don't really know.

Again there was no paperwork at all with the skimmer... What are these parts?

Some sort of plastic mesh

Some sort of plastic piece...
Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #108
Aquarium Advice Activist

Once the stand was completely dry I moved it into the house along with the tank... Finished all the plumbing.

You can see the check valve I got here, mounted towards the top of the supply line.

Finally moved into place!!!! And even filled with water (only fresh water at this point.. I don't have any salt yet). I put the tank in my entry area... its actually a fairly dark area of the house usually and we had a spot for it here so it seemed to work well.

With the lights on

Sump so far. Still need to zip tie or organize the coords somehow and mount the lights.

The only thing I don't like so far is the noise coming from the sump... the plumbing lines I believe. Will need to try to find ways to make it more quiet.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #109
AA Team Emeritus

Looks awesome man! Glad you got a good deal on an RO/DI. You should put a cheap pressure gauge on there to see what you are getting, you might be able to speed it up with a booster like we talked about.

I always spend the first several days adjusting and fiddling with the plumbing to get it as quiet as possible. Is it mechanical noise or is it like a gurgling?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #110
Aquarium Advice Activist

^Its a combination of sounds... but the majority of noise is coming from the drain line - the "gurgling" sound.

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com