Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #181
Aquarium Advice Activist

Guess my snails are happy.. Appear to already be laying eggs... Anyone want to verify this for me? Here is great photo I found that is exactly what I have.

They are showing up on my glass and all over some of my live rock.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #182
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol, I just purchased the snails for a 40g from reefcleaners.com and split between my 29g and 10g. That is a Nerites egg. I have tons of them too. They laid them the first night and still at it. The Florida Ceriths are laying eggs also, looks like...knotted up thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #183
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Actually this site does have private messaging
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #184
AA Team Emeritus

Test your salinity next time you lose 5g of evap. Need to know what that does to your tank so you can judge whether to get an ATO system hooked up. Ofen salinity swings can stress fish or other livestock and cause other problems.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #185
Aquarium Advice Activist

marydem - PM sent

austinsdad - Good point, I am rarely gone that long (It went about 7 or 8 days without water being added and lost right at 4.5 gallons I believe). If I don't put in some sort of ATO system I think I will have someone come over and feed & top off the water level by day 4 next time.

I FINALLY received my refractometer and also got my test kit for calcium, KH & Phosphate. Here are my readings...

Temp = 82 (having heater issues I have 2 heaters one heats to much and the other not enough......)

Specific gravity = 1.027 (using refractometer)

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Ph = 8.3
Phosphate = 0
Calcium = 540
KH = 125.3 (7 dKH)

So Im thinking I need to buy a new heater so I can get my high temperature down to 80. It looks like my SG is a little high. And it looks like my Calcium is high. I was surprised that my calcium was high... must be my salt? I am using Oceanic.

Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #186
AA Team Emeritus

I would guess it is because your Alk is so low. Check all the levels of a freshly mixed batch of salt to see if it is mixing that low or something in your tank is doing it.

Everything else looks great though.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #187
Aquarium Advice Activist

So this past weekend I picked up a few frags and 3 fish. Thought Id post up my new additions. I found two locals selling fish/frags so I got a great deal.

My family really wanted clowns - I got a great deal on this little pair of True Perculas. They are not very big at all yet - maybe 1.5" long - I am hoping they will eventually be a mating pair. I am still unsure about getting an anemone. They seem to be doing good so far - they ate right away and look healthy.

The other fish I bought was a Copperbanded Butterfly. He is approximately 2.5" I have never owned one before but have always wanted to have one. This one had been eating well for the previous owner which was a concern for me and was not bothering any corals. I still have a few aptasia so I am hoping between the copperbanded butterfly and the peppermint shrimp they will be history soon. After drip acclimating this guy I added him to the tank and within minutes he was feasting on some of my tiny tube worms. I have a ton of tiny tube worms and its not a big deal if he eats them, I just want him to eventually accept frozen food too which I was told he has done before. I may have to get creative with the way I present the food to him perhaps.

Besides the corals I bought, I did add a large member to my CUC. A Spider Conch. He is really cool to watch.

The soft coral frags:
Pink clove polyps
Blue palythoa
Green mushroom
Bluish riccordia
Yellow/Green star polyps
Toadstool Leather coral
pulsing xenia
Yellow Polyps

SPS coral frags:
Pink Birdsnest
Green Porcilipora
Green Montipora
Another stony I cant remember the name of.

LPS coral
Long tentacle plate coral

A few photos of the frags:

A couple tank shots - you can see the Copperband in the first one.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #188
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
You probably already know this, but just to make sure: clownfish do not need anemones. Sometimes they won't even host in them, but they could host in anything. Also anemones need a well established tank, probably at least a year old.

Btw those are some really neat additions! Congrats
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #189
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, Yeah I know they don't need an anemone - I have just had good luck with carpets in the past and love to watch clowns with anemones - especially carpets.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #190
AA Team Emeritus

Looks good man! You should be fine, but stay vigilant on those levels after tank additions to be sure.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com