Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree that for a 100 gallon tank I`m thinking the 15 would be too small for a sump. A 30 or 40 gallon would work nice. Added water volume is a nice thing.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I would just get glass for the baffles. An Ace hardware or somewhere sells it for dirt cheap all cut and ready per your measurements. Its hard to work between plexi and glass if i remember right. a 40 breeder or 50 gallon would work really well. AGA makes an actual 50, not the 48" 55 that you see most of the time in pet stores. I used it on my 90 gallon+30gallon franken-system and loved it.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

melosu58 & Jimbo7,

Thanks for the comments. Will be looking for a larger glass tank this weekend while in boise and then plan on having some glass cut for the baffles.

Thought Id post up some photos of my stand so far.. this is just the frame obviously. Had to purchase the 2x material but the screws and MDF was stuff I had. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts...

The overflow corner drain is clear of all material.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am still trying to determine what do do for a sump - its amazing how complex some are. I would really like to build my own out of acrylic but not sure just yet... My previous sumps were very simplistic and really only consisted of one "zone"... I had a bio ball filled section that the input came from before dumping into the sump tank that included a skimmer. From there it was heated and pumped back up to the display tank. I am very interested in taking advantage of the time I have now and building a more useful and perhaps helpful sump. After looking at numerous examples here is where I am at... Please give me some thoughts!

If I just stick with buying a 30-40 glass tank I will then buy some cut glass to use as baffles.. I will use aquarium grade silicon to attach. Here is a design I found that I was thinking of copying.

If however I have some luck with finding a supplier of acrylic and bonding agents in my area and it doesn't look to overwhelming to do I would really like to try to build this Model J sump:

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

Again, thoughts regarding these two designs would be appreciated as well as thoughts pertaining to the construction of either. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi, I'm new (March 2010) and started fish only but after learning a little about the corals...well you know.

I looked at your stand, are you sure you have enough support on the corners to keep it from swaying under the weight of your tank? I can't tell from the pictures but it looks like you might have your back 2x4's going through the shelf. If it is, that'll give you some support.

Sorry, I know just enough about construction to make me an idiot
Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Melevsreef is a great place to learn everything you need to know about sumps. I constructed my 30g frag tank out of acrylic, we documented it pretty well if you need any visual aides. Link is in my sig. I don't remember the supplier for the acrylic, somewhere online, I would not get the brand we did though, I think it leeched phosphates.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 07-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

capj64,
Thanks for the comment. When I am done I will be more than satisfied with the ability of the stand to resist the "swaying" you are describing. When I am done and have installed the finish material to the outside the frame will have adequate shear support to resist that swaying. I also have plans for a diag. support or panel in the back for mounting electrical that will also help. I know enough about construction to be dangerous too - but am also a licensed architect which makes me twice as dangerous as most.

Jimbo7,
I think Im going to go for it.. working with acrylic looks like to much fun to resist! Will be picking up a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" today I hope. Should be fun cutting this....
Old 07-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds good! I'm not sure how big you are planning on making this, make sure you do some calculations that the acrylic can take it. Some braces across the top are a good idea too to prevent bowing. Also account for a little less structe in that your seams will probably be water proof, but not perfect. It takes a lot of practice and some finesse to get no bubbles in them.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 07-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Jimbo7,
Basically Im going to copy (or try to) that sump that Melevsreef did - Model J Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums 40" x 14" x 16".... It will fit in my stand really well.

I will have some acrylic left over after but I figure I will need some to practice with and perhaps a stand for my skimmer etc... And I couldn't get a smaller amount on short notice from the supplier...

I ordered 1/4" cell cast. Based on the reading I did 1/4" will be adequate and I will be installing some bracing along with the baffles etc... for extra support. Having never worked with acrylic I am planning on practicing with some welds prior to putting the finish pieces together.

Need to also purchase the cements... assume I can buy this from a lowes or home depot?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds good then. I can't access melevsreef from work, I just wanted to make sure you did you research, which you more then did. good luck! take lots of pics.

Dorm Pico Tank

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com