Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure about the goby.
If you don't mind siphoning the flatworms out I would say doing that once a week would be best.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #202
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Awesome build!

Flat worm exit will work when dosed correctly, it will however kill a lot of other things in your system. Small brittle stars, snails, crabs, shrimp, pods and several others. If you can siphon them out and keep their population down to a minimum, I have had good luck with a sixline wrasse taking care of the rest.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #203
Aquarium Advice Activist

^Thanks guys.

Yeah I am hoping to avoid using FW exit. From the reading Ive done it looks to be an option but since I have so few I would like to try other means. I can find about 15 or 20 if I look hard for a while and I will siphon those off this week. Im sure there are many more I can't see but will try to just maintain the population. Ive also heard about the sixline wrasse working for these guys so I may have to look into one of them too.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #204
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Kudos for not wanting to dump poison into your system. If you keep on top of them you should be able to maintain, let it go too long and you will see hundreds of them.

Sixlines are cool little fish and will do well in the tank regardless of the flatworms.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Activist

*update*

A couple days ago I made some additions to the tank. A local person with a really nice and healthy tank is selling everything off - has to move... He had a 90 gallon that was 4 long. Had several beautiful corals and fish.... I ended up buying a really nice sailfin tang and a male & female Blue Jaw Trigger. He had these three fish in with another tang, several types of crabs & shrimp as well as many smaller fish. I was a little worried about "reef safe"triggers but these two have been with several types of coral as well as tiny fish and have not caused a problem. Ive had triggers in the past and loved them and am happy to have found a kind that should be reef safe.... Will keep a close eye on them regardless. The tang is amazing. From the reading ive done a 100 gallon tank min is suggested, and some say 125. - If my tank was not 100 gallon and 5' long I wouldn't have gotten him. I think he will be happier with the extra foot of length in my tank over his previous home. I may upgrade to a 240+/- gallon in the future and if I don't I might have to eventually consider finding a bigger tank for him. This tang is so nice - literally follows me around from one end to the other. I drip acclimated him and 10 mins after I put him in the tank he was eating out of my hand. The triggers came close to eating from my hand today but were still slightly hesitant. I don't want to always hand feed but it is fun when I have to be into the tank anyway.

In addition to the fish I picked up some more zoas and a purple polyp rock, along with another piece of live rock that I drilled holes in for some frag plugs.

I have been doing a 15% water change once a week and might drop that back to 10% per week now. I ran my tests again today and everything looked great.

Specific gravity = 1.025
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Ph = 8.3
Phosphate = 0
Calcium = 500
KH = 9 dKH

Ive been noticing growth in the past week on my birds nest SPS. Several little "bumps" which I assume will become new branches have appeared.

Before:

Today:

My Mangroves have finally started to show signs of life... about a week or so ago I noticed roots coming out of the bottom. I was wondering if they were ever going to do anything. Maybe I will start to see some leaves begin to sprout out of the top soon? Here is shot showing the roots.

Here is my new and probably only tang:

And the pair of Blue Jaws (male on the right):

Purple polyp:

New zoas:
Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Absolutely beautiful fish. I love the sailfin.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:22 AM   #207
AA Team Emeritus

wow man, outstanding! I have been away for a couple days..trying to get internet into my new apartment, seems like you have been busy!

I really like those blue lines and the copperband, sailfins have always been on my top want list as well. Keep up the great work!

Oh and watch those blue clove polyps, they will really quickly take over a TON of space. I let mine run rampant and they snuffed out a couple zoa colonies.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Activist

^
Thanks guys!

Good news - my odd little Yellow Watchman is acting more normal again. Has dug a new hole near his old home and is again acting like a goby. Looks like he just lost his mind for about 4 or 5 days. Craziest thing I've ever seen.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #209
Aquarium Advice Activist

*Update*

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Ph = 8.3
Phosphate = 0
Calcium = has dropped to 440
KH = 9 dKH

Everything has been going great with the exception of a dead plate coral. Not sure what happened to it.. just slowly started to go and then it went quick. Its my first loss so Im not going to get to upset - but am disappointed.

Since my last update a little over 2 weeks ago Ive added a cleaner shrimp and 4 Bangi Cardinals along with some new frags. Ive never had Bangi Cardinals before but have always admired them - love their pattern and the way they stay in a group. They have been eating well and are usually together although on occasion I will see them separate.

The cleaner shrimp is a cleaner shrimp... He has worked over a few fish but doesn't come out as often as cleaners Ive had in the past.

As far as the frags go - I traded some of my ever growing sump macro algae for some really nice Zoas. I now have 6 varieties. I also found a guy selling 7 SPS frags for $35 - couldn't pass that up.

My Bangi's

Some recent shots of the tank

And..... I saw my pistol working and was able to get a quick video - so fun to watch these two work together.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Wow it looks amazing! Love the new additions

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com