Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #211
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update:
Good news & bad news...

The bad:
Unfortunately I lost my copper banded butterfly. I was never able to get him to eat well. I tried and tried various techniques... He ate all my feather duster worms but i don't think he would eat anything after they were gone. Also two of my Bangis have disappeared - they all looked healthy and the two that are always out look great. So I fear Ive lost two of those as well. Water tests all look great still... still doing PWC on schedule... so I guess why they disappeared will remain a mystery.

The good:
I will be starting another build soon! I will keep my 100 going - Im not replacing it. But this new tank is BIG and the build will keep me busy over the winter.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #212
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m glad to hear about the new tank. I like that. Sorry about the loss. Just next time get the LFS to feed it while you are there so you can see it eat. I dont buy any fish at my LFS unless I see it eat. I dont order online for that reason. I`ve got to see it eat.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #213
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes - sound advice which I knew.... and ..... didn't do... I listened to the LFS guy tell me it ate fine and went with that... live and learn...
Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #214
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help... Found a local guy who was taking down his tank... It was a reef tank with many SPS... He was selling his fish which I bought two of... a Flame angle and a 6-line. Within an hour of adding the flame angel he would occasionally nip at my SPS and has continued to do so to a few frags. I figured this guy would be safe since he came out of a reef tank...

Will this guy give it up with regular feeding or is this guy going to continue and kill these frags? Catching him will be a huge chore, but I don't want to lose several of my nice frags... How much of this nipping can these SPS stand?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 AM   #215
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Can't wait to see this one dude. Im thinking about making the 55gal a freshwater tank and getting a wider tank (so i can still used the lighting I got) for a saltwater...and have an overflow and it drilled.. looks just heck of a lot easier than making this work.

Any pics of the new fish?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #216
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I really doubt that the flame angel will stop nipping at the coral. I've never heard of one that stopped picking after it started. They will slow down a bit if you feed fairly heavy to keep them well fed but most likely he will always go back for a little taste of coral. It's hard to say how much your SPS can take because it depends on a lot of things. Some people keep them with out a problem because they have so many coral that the nipping is spread out and not a big deal. If your angel has a favorite coral thought it will probably end up not making it. I would say if you want to keep the angel i would expect to lose the occasional coral because of it as a best case and that it will distory whole colonies as a worst case. Sorry to be the one with the bad news.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #217
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ill post new photos soon.... Added a couple corals recently too. This stinking Flame Angel is proving to be a nightmare to catch... He has to go as I don't plan on letting him kill the SPS he has started picking on. Ive spent about 2 hours with the net hoping and praying that he somehow makes a huge error but no luck. My big tang is like a little dog wanting to play... always hanging around me.. I could catch him in seconds he has actually swam into the net a few times but the flame angel has some sort of understanding that I want to catch him and is staying out of sight. He is probably more skittish too since he was recently caught by the guy I bought him from.

I don't have a fish trap and if I did I imagine that I would catch every small fish but him... That and my tang would try his best to get inside of it to get to the food. I would try the fish hook method but again, my tang is so food crazy I don't know how I would keep him off the hook. I am starting to become very afraid that I am going to have to take apart the tank... Ugh.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #218
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Patience is a virtue!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #219
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put the net in the tank for a couple of days and feed around it. Once the flame angel gets used to it you will have an easier time catching it.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #220
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
Patience is a virtue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Put the net in the tank for a couple of days and feed around it. Once the flame angel gets used to it you will have an easier time catching it.
All good advice.. problem is patience and a few more days = dead SPS. :censor:

Unless my wife has some luck today I am pulling it all apart tonight.

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com