Tank build - newbie again... need thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a great sump. it is funny some one mentioned the 2x4 thing. I have a 180 that sits on 1x2s. I have to build a stand for my 165 and I wanted 2x4s. But there is no reason for them. But you will have piece of mind and you have a great stand. How will you finish the stand?

That is a great sump. it is funny some one mentioned the 2x4 thing. I have a 180 that sits on 1x2s. I have to build a stand for my 165 and I wanted 2x4s. But there is no reason for them. But you will have piece of mind and you have a great stand. How will you finish the stand?

I considered ripping 2x4's and using 1x2s... but the cost of the 2x4s was so minimal and much easier to screw into etc... that it was an easy choice. And as you say I have plenty peace of mind. The only down side is what it will weigh.. I have a built in entertainment center in my house made of reclaimed VG fir so I will be using a VG fir that has been wirebrushed - should match.

I hope to start putting the sump together tonight. Can someone take a look at this and let me know if you see any problems? The skimmer I am looking at runs in 6-10" of water so I will build a 3" shelf for it.

Screenshot2010-07-19at102555AM.png

Screenshot2010-07-19at102611AM.png

looks good to me. If you didn't already say you were an architect, It's pretty obvious now, your font gives you away :p

I pulled my old sump pump out.. it is a Danner Mag drive 9.5. It looks like the head height will be about 4.5' so the GPH will be about 800GPH....

I finished cutting the last few pieces of acrylic and started putting it together. In addition to the #16 cement I decided to buy some #4 - I was glad I did, the capillary action using the #4 is really nice. I applied the #4 & #16 with a syringe which worked great. I also used some wedges as others had recommended.

IMG_3791.jpg

I found that I didn't need the pins others had used to create a space between the acrylic before applying the #4. The solvent would wick in between without the pins. I did apply from both sides. After the #4 dried I ran a tiny bead of the #16. Hopefully this will strengthen the seams.

IMG_3792.jpg

Here you can see on the left where I have ran the #4 and then stopped... The lighter color is where no solvent has been ran yet. Its easy to tell where the bond is good.

IMG_3793.jpg

In the process of putting it all together

IMG_3794.jpg

The guy who I bought my acrylic from gave me a few pieces of extra - one was a tinted piece.... Thought Id use it as my center baffle on the bubble trap...

IMG_3796.jpg

Here you can see the bubble tower... the location the water first enters the sump from the display tank. I will fill this with some live rock chunks to help break up the bubbles.

IMG_3797.jpg

Thats as far as I got for today...

IMG_3800.jpg

So water will enter from the tank in the skimmer chamber and the refuge? Why did you do it this way? why not just send everything through the skimmer?

Sump looks great. Melevsreef would be proud :) Has your wife figured out you're reefing? lol Just kiddin'

Are you going to make an auto top off for your sump?

So water will enter from the tank in the skimmer chamber and the refuge? Why did you do it this way? why not just send everything through the skimmer?

Well I have heard that it should be done both ways...:confused:

My options at this point are as you said to send water from the tank into the skimmer chamber and a lesser amount into the refuge.

OR

Send all water from the tank into the skimmer chamber and then run a small second pump from the skimmer chamber (or any chamber for that matter I guess) to the refuge.

You think the ladder is best?

No I think the way you got it is going to be fine, the more pumps and things you add, the more of a chance you have that something will fail. Plus you want some of the nutrients of the tank water to go directly to the fuge to help grow stuff. If you skim all of it out then give it to the fuge your cheato and stuff won't do as well. Sump looks great so far too!

Wow, looking awesome :D

Thanks! Actually having a lot of fun too... starting to dream about other larger acrylic projects.... could be dangerous.

Sump looks great. Melevsreef would be proud :) Has your wife figured out you're reefing? lol Just kiddin'

Are you going to make an auto top off for your sump?

Yes kind of... I have hinted to such by just saying "well we should probably keep a couple corals".... lol And she saw the light fixture I plan to buy...

Thought about an auto top off but not sure if its something I can make happen. I may put in a float switch however.

Jimbo,
Thats what i was wondering about... I do plan to grow Chaeto etc... I guess I have time before plumbing it all so if anyone has input as to how I should supply water to the refugium Im all ears. Also, I ordered two 24" Nova SlimPaq T5 14W Actinics to put over my sump... think that will do the trick? Plan to run opposite my tank lights if I can keep the light escape from the stand down.

I would plumb as much in PVC as you can. It doesn't get clogged as easily as clear tubing. With that I would imagine some just general T fitting would split it fine. You could also do a ball valve on either side of the T to adjust water flow to both areas.

Startin to shape up. Got any goals set for gettin it all wet?

not really... I have been guilty in the past of trying to do things to quickly when it comes to keeping a tank - this time I am going slow and enjoying the build. I would like to think that I can start cycling this thing within 2 weeks.

Today I finished putting the sump together..... Then I let dry for about 3 hours and sanded the exterior corners and top edge. After sanding I used a torch to heat the edges which makes everything nice and smooth. Tomorrow I will test for leaks!!

After sanding (thats what all that dust is from... static electricity).. here she is. I figured 1/4" acrylic would be adequate to prevent any deforming (especially since there are interior supports) but I did decide to put corner bracing in each corner just to make thinks a little stronger.

img_1136699_0_8bf657634e7c6f266927d435f7ea9d9c.jpg

After sanding, I used a torch to smooth out the edges and make them clear.

img_1136699_1_a76b2b4240a6d52486383d779bdc744a.jpg

here is a corner

img_1136699_2_a144dc8b823444b615724f7fdaab2de1.jpg

After the sump was done I decided to clean my existing tank.. It was filthy after sitting on a shelf for 6 years... After the previous years of use there were several minor scratches from various things. Using a polish I purchased for plastics & metals and a drill attachment I polished the inside and outside of the tank. This worked to take out all but a couple small scratches I have from rock being moved.

The stuff I used which worked well

img_1136699_3_e60d8213c9806c0b18b1d44008d10029.jpg

This would take forever without a drill attachment!

img_1136699_4_dad5bb68680fe876b2acf74e92269df1.jpg

All done and ready for water.

img_1136699_5_20ef63891e4c09ad869271e6b06faf9b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom