Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a great sump. it is funny some one mentioned the 2x4 thing. I have a 180 that sits on 1x2s. I have to build a stand for my 165 and I wanted 2x4s. But there is no reason for them. But you will have piece of mind and you have a great stand. How will you finish the stand?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
That is a great sump. it is funny some one mentioned the 2x4 thing. I have a 180 that sits on 1x2s. I have to build a stand for my 165 and I wanted 2x4s. But there is no reason for them. But you will have piece of mind and you have a great stand. How will you finish the stand?
I considered ripping 2x4's and using 1x2s... but the cost of the 2x4s was so minimal and much easier to screw into etc... that it was an easy choice. And as you say I have plenty peace of mind. The only down side is what it will weigh.. I have a built in entertainment center in my house made of reclaimed VG fir so I will be using a VG fir that has been wirebrushed - should match.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

I hope to start putting the sump together tonight. Can someone take a look at this and let me know if you see any problems? The skimmer I am looking at runs in 6-10" of water so I will build a 3" shelf for it.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

looks good to me. If you didn't already say you were an architect, It's pretty obvious now, your font gives you away :p
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Activist

I pulled my old sump pump out.. it is a Danner Mag drive 9.5. It looks like the head height will be about 4.5' so the GPH will be about 800GPH....

I finished cutting the last few pieces of acrylic and started putting it together. In addition to the #16 cement I decided to buy some #4 - I was glad I did, the capillary action using the #4 is really nice. I applied the #4 & #16 with a syringe which worked great. I also used some wedges as others had recommended.

I found that I didn't need the pins others had used to create a space between the acrylic before applying the #4. The solvent would wick in between without the pins. I did apply from both sides. After the #4 dried I ran a tiny bead of the #16. Hopefully this will strengthen the seams.

Here you can see on the left where I have ran the #4 and then stopped... The lighter color is where no solvent has been ran yet. Its easy to tell where the bond is good.

In the process of putting it all together

The guy who I bought my acrylic from gave me a few pieces of extra - one was a tinted piece.... Thought Id use it as my center baffle on the bubble trap...

Here you can see the bubble tower... the location the water first enters the sump from the display tank. I will fill this with some live rock chunks to help break up the bubbles.

Thats as far as I got for today...

Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey, I'll take one of those. I figure since you are already doing one you can do mine for just the cost of the materials.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Wow, looking awesome
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So water will enter from the tank in the skimmer chamber and the refuge? Why did you do it this way? why not just send everything through the skimmer?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sump looks great. Melevsreef would be proud Has your wife figured out you're reefing? lol Just kiddin'

Are you going to make an auto top off for your sump?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882 View Post
So water will enter from the tank in the skimmer chamber and the refuge? Why did you do it this way? why not just send everything through the skimmer?
Well I have heard that it should be done both ways...

My options at this point are as you said to send water from the tank into the skimmer chamber and a lesser amount into the refuge.

OR

Send all water from the tank into the skimmer chamber and then run a small second pump from the skimmer chamber (or any chamber for that matter I guess) to the refuge.

You think the ladder is best?

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com