Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

your bored? ran out of things to do? There seems to be some open dirt bikes, or go wheelin in that jeep from avatar.

On the bottom of your stand, why the gap? On each support beam on the bottom. Just curious.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good point... need to enjoy the weather more while I can... problem is when I start a project it consumes me...

Those gaps you are referring to are below the front two corners right? Those are just two 2xs I screwed on to give me something to anchor the corner trim to.. there is structure behind it that runs full height...

Old 07-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gotcha, so they are to tie in the pretty part.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Videos are great....do lots of them. Lots to learn for my build.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pat,
regarding your siphon break comment. I decided to go with a check valve... there are lots around but liked the look of this one since it was removable as a union too.

D&T Aquarium Supplies-Aquarium Supplies For Saltwater And Freshwater Aquariums, And Ponds

Question for everyone... can anyone recommend a good and fairly complete test kit for me? The ones I have are several years old and I think I want to start with a newer kit... I am partially color blind and have to ask my wife to look at the colors and charts - I assume there are no other ways for these kits to work? Anyway - please recommend a good kit. Was just going to get a Red Sea or the Seachem kit.. one of these: Saltwater Multi-Test Kits - D&T Aquarium Supplies-Aquarium Supplies For Saltwater And Freshwater Aquariums, And Ponds

Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #86
AA Team Emeritus

I have always just used the cheap API kits for the basic ammonia, trites and trates. then buy a couple nice kits for alk, calc, pH and mg. you should look into the Hanna phosphate meter, they just released a model for $50 bucks, supposed to be awesome. I'm thinking of picking one up myself.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Freak

Let me just say, I've read a lot of build threads. A LOT. With my job, I sit on my butt and do nothing all day so I read and do research. I must say, this is the most interesting bulild thread I have ever read. Tons of pictures, your designs are amazing, and everything is (so far) going so smooth.

What do you do for a living? Your drafts on your sump and tank are so well laid out.

Keep up the amazing work. I cant wait to see this all come together.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #88
AA Team Emeritus

Architect.
You should make some old school D size hand drafts for the entire setup and frame it above the tank. A little nerdy, but it would be pretty cool.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEverii View Post
Let me just say, I've read a lot of build threads. A LOT. With my job, I sit on my butt and do nothing all day so I read and do research. I must say, this is the most interesting bulild thread I have ever read. Tons of pictures, your designs are amazing, and everything is (so far) going so smooth.

What do you do for a living? Your drafts on your sump and tank are so well laid out.

Keep up the amazing work. I cant wait to see this all come together.
Wow... Thanks for the great compliment! I also sit on my butt most of the day too... And as Jimbo said I am an Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
You should make some old school D size hand drafts for the entire setup and frame it above the tank. A little nerdy, but it would be pretty cool.
Not sure it would go with the decor of the house.. but an interesting idea.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #90
Aquarium Advice Activist

Friday afternoon I started the Hood portion of the project - I finished it yesterday afternoon. I had the specs on the lights I ordered and from that was able to build the hood around it. Fortunately the light fixture is low profile and the hood didn't need to be really tall - I am trying to keep the weight down so its easier to take on and off.

To start I just ripped down some 2x4 to make 2x2 (1.5x1.5). The last hood I made I primarily just used 1x with no frame... over time it moved slightly which I didn't like... I think a frame will help it keep its shape and integrity better.

The bottom of the frame - basically follows the shape of he tank. Screwed and glued each corner.

Added corners and the top part of the frame.

Added some intermediate members.

Then I started to focus on the finish material... I am still waiting on my shipment of wire brushed fir to arrive so I decided to do it myself for the hood... Bought some CVG Fir (stuff is pricy!) and started cutting. Last time when I built my stand I basically just attached the finish material right to the stand piece by piece - over time the boards separated slightly.. The stuff I am using now has a lower moisture content than that material did and I am also glueing and putting biscuits in. This will help keep everything tight - also gives me a reason to use the biscuit jointer.

I then put the individual panels together and clamped everything up and let sit for the night.

Next day I pulled off all the clamps and had some nice panels to work with. They were all intentionally longer so I could cut perfect on the table saw.

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com