Friday afternoon I started the Hood portion of the project - I finished it yesterday afternoon. I had the specs on the lights I ordered and from that was able to build the hood around it. Fortunately the light fixture is low profile and the hood didn't need to be really tall - I am trying to keep the weight down so its easier to take on and off.
To start I just ripped down some 2x4 to make 2x2 (1.5x1.5). The last hood I made I primarily just used 1x with no frame... over time it moved slightly which I didn't like... I think a frame will help it keep its shape and integrity better.
The bottom of the frame - basically follows the shape of he tank. Screwed and glued each corner.
Added corners and the top part of the frame.
Added some intermediate members.
Then I started to focus on the finish material... I am still waiting on my shipment of wire brushed fir to arrive so I decided to do it myself for the hood... Bought some CVG Fir (stuff is pricy!) and started cutting. Last time when I built my stand I basically just attached the finish material right to the stand piece by piece - over time the boards separated slightly.. The stuff I am using now has a lower moisture content than that material did and I am also glueing and putting biscuits in. This will help keep everything tight - also gives me a reason to use the biscuit jointer.
I then put the individual panels together and clamped everything up and let sit for the night.
Next day I pulled off all the clamps and had some nice panels to work with. They were all intentionally longer so I could cut perfect on the table saw.