Tank conection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish56

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to connect my two saltwater tanks so the fish can swim in between them with out cutting the glass how would I do it or is it even possible like a aqua bridge

It would be very simple with a Acrylic tank because the material can be cut easily.

With the right tools glass can be cut, and even a hole made.

Because of gravity, your only options are really to have a passage below or between, not above.

If you had the time and were successful, I'm sure you would open up a whole new DIY avenue for fellow Aquarists

It would be fine if the tube was near the bottom so the water level never reached it plus you would want significant water flow between the two tanks too keep the parameters the same.

You could also set up two tubes and configure the water flow to cycle the water between the two tanks.

I went on YouTube and the tank was side by side connected by a u tube but looks like a n on the tank

PistolPete said:
That isn't true. As long as both ends are in the water and the water is pumped or sucked out it will be fine.

This would require a good knowledge of physics and a good calculator.

The physics behind it are that gravity is going to make the water equalize. So if tank A's water level is 5 feet above the ground, and tank B's water level is 4 feet above the ground, the water is going to probably siphon 6 inches of water out of tank A into tank B making both water levels 4.5 feet.

Now knowing that, if you wish to put the tank on separate levels you have to cancel out the siphon with a pump that puts the water in the higher tank with the same rate of flow or eventually one will overflow.

Not impossible, but not easy.

The physics behind it are that gravity is going to make the water equalize. So if tank A's water level is 5 feet above the ground, and tank B's water level is 4 feet above the ground, the water is going to probably siphon 6 inches of water out of tank A into tank B making both water levels 4.5 feet.

That's a good point , to have them separate heights the pump would have to push against the weight of the water in tank A, most of but not the entire weight, i don't think you would find a pump strong enough to keep the levels the same plus why wouldn't you want them level.

Lol, agreed.

What if he was able to replace the glass of the inner walls with Acrylic which would be easier to fabricate?

Would that be possible? I have never tried to mess with a tank frame but I figure it's mostly A-frame metal, glass panes, and special acrylic caulk holding it all together.

I've never messed with a tank frame either but I think Acrylic would definitely be best, your most likely right on its construction. I think its a type of caulk designed not to leech chemicals into the water.

Do you think a glass tube would even be able to handle the stress?

They are going to be at the same height give or take a inch or two also PVC pipes to connect maybe

Back
Top Bottom